December 21, 2012 The end of the World? or the Beginning?

ZELDA GURU

Yeah, but they never collided any atoms. Thus, no worries about black holes.

Not that I had any anyway...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

He looks like BoltBait... :shock: This is BoltBait's tougher schizophrenic ego who only appears when large striders are about to threaten California. For this case he always has a crowbar in his drawer under the desk at his Intel office...trust me ;-)

Weren't the collision of atoms scheduled for next week since the machine crashed?
The tests have gone without hinder, if I recall.

There have been two tests so far: both tests shot a cluster of protons circulating around the collider, on the 10th September it was clockwise around, the next was sometime the same day (or very close to), anti-clockwise around. Both circuits took approximately one hour to complete the run each way.

21st October is the day all who have worries should carry a spare pair of underwear. It be this day the first collision is scheduled for, shortly after the official unveiling of the colossal machine.

Now, here's something quite humorous: in 2012 (of all years) a planned upgrade of the machine should be made, they're calling this the 'Super Large Hadron Collider'. A future, further, and theoretical, upgrade is planned also, and they've imaginatively titled this version the 'Very Large Hadron Collider'.

How simple is this naming scheme they have going on? Very. None of this LHC-00864821, or LHC-88473362-CRHG-009, all immensely easy titles. Fantastic thinking, I believe.

Now, here's something quite humorous: in 2012 (of all years) a planned upgrade of the machine should be made, they're calling this the 'Super Large Hadron Collider'. A future, further, and theoretical, upgrade is planned also, and they've imaginatively titled this version the 'Very Large Hadron Collider'.

:P its like Nvidia calling their new 3 way SLI "triple SLI" geez these people need to hire some imaginative people.

leafsigforuse.png

"Confusion is the welcome mat at the door of creativity." -Michaul Gelb

My Gallery Check it out!

Weren't the collision of atoms scheduled for next week since the machine crashed?

Myrddin is correct; the machine didn't crash. The collision of atoms has always been scheduled for October 21. The test was successful.

Also, I heard that the 'black holes' were supposed to be microscopic and shouldn't oppose any threat to mankind ..

Not quite true. Black holes are objects such that phenomenally gigantic mass is compressed into a phenomenally tiny space. For instance, a supermassive black hole (such as the one believed to be at the center of our galaxy) could contain a mass 1,000,000,000 (one billion) times the size of the sun crammed into a space as small as the state of Indiana ( .001 AU). A "primordial" black hole (so called because it is formed in extremely dense matter during the Big Bang) has a mass the size of the moon crammed into a space smaller than a millimeter.

Now, imagine the moon suddenly coming crashing to the earth. Since we feel the effects of its gravity at the distance it currently is (the moon's gravity causes tides), don't you think we'd feel it a lot more if it were to get a lot closer? A black hole that size would suck a very large percentage of the planet in. Were anyone to survive that, the resulting change in orbit of the Earth (tape a rock to a spinning top and see how well it spins) would either freeze or burn them to death. And if anyone could somehow survive that, keep in mind that a black hole's mass continues to increase as it swallows matter around it. Eventually, the black hole would gather enough mass to swallow the rest of the planet.

The good news? Einsteinian time dilation would ensure that we'd never know about it. Time would grind to a halt around us as the gravity increased.

The even better news? It's pretty unlikely. :-)

unfortunately. :lol:

You're a sick, sick person.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

How simple is this naming scheme they have going on? Very. None of this LHC-00864821, or LHC-88473362-CRHG-009, all immensely easy titles. Fantastic thinking, I believe.

Just reminds me of this...

19930323.gif

Ahh, Calvin! How smart you are. The Very Large Array comes to mind...

... I been over this 2012 thing with people a 1000 times in the last 5 years.

I am at the point were I just don't care. Live, die, what does it matter ? People don't want to die is what it comes down to and nothing else. Well to bad people die, live with knowing you are not in control of when your going to die. I had friends that were not even done school when death came for them.

Were do you see yourself in 10 years from now ?, No were do you see yourself in 10 mins from now ?

You never know when you will get hit. You could be sitting in front of your computer and bang, vein breaks open in your head and you die in a few mins. Could fall and die. When your time is up, thats it. I only hope for it to be fast and painless.

That's ironic coming from someone with the username "Hitman." :-P

... I been over this 2012 thing with people a 1000 times in the last 5 years.

I am at the point were I just don't care. Live, die, what does it matter ? People don't want to die is what it comes down to and nothing else. Well to bad people die, live with knowing you are not in control of when your going to die. I had friends that were not even done school when death came for them.

Were do you see yourself in 10 years from now ?, No were do you see yourself in 10 mins from now ?

You never know when you will get hit. You could be sitting in front of your computer and bang, vein breaks open in your head and you die in a few mins. Could fall and die. When your time is up, thats it. I only hope for it to be fast and painless.

QFT! My thoughts exactly.

And David, I'm not sick. I just don't owe anything to mankind and I would rather see it humiliated, annihilated and utterly destroyed than to just take up precious space. :lol:

siggy1mo8.png

lovemeh.png

Yes, I'm a fan. ;]

Well, there's always this:

lhc-death-1.jpg

And David, I'm not sick. I just don't owe anything to mankind and I would rather see it humiliated, annihilated and utterly destroyed than to just take up precious space. :lol:

Okay. You first. :-P

That is pretty fascinating. I like this one:

Even giant collisions can’t vaporize the planet. An object roughly the size of Mars impacted the Earth more than 4.5 billion years ago, and the ejected debris formed the Moon (the rest of the collider merged with the Earth). But the Earth wasn’t vaporized. Even smacking a whole planet into another one doesn’t destroy them!

Heh. My plans for world domination can now continue without fear. :-)

My plans for world domination can now continue without fear. :-)

Is there something you would like to share with the rest of us? :>

Um, no. If I'm planning world domination, it means I want to rule the world. Not share. :-)

@Sozo: Hilarious. You make me laugh. When I rule the world, you may be my jester. :-P