Make an image with a transparent background

If I create a 3d text image, I would like to have the white background transparent.

Is there a way to have the background transparent... Not white?

So when I put the 3d image on top of a picture of fire, just the letters show, not

the white back ground and the letters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

new image add a layer then go back down and delete the background white layer. you will be working with a transparent canvas at that point.

also don't forget to save as > .png

Just so I understand you correctly!

I have my image open (text.jpg).

Your saying: Add a layer

Then go back down to my original image (text.jpg) and erase all the white section using the eraser.

Then save the image as text.png

Thank You

Michael

? you are not making your own 3d text? if you are you open image make a new layer and delete the white background.

if you are using someone elses text that is on a white background you will use different methods (and this depends on the actual picture) wand out the background or cut out the letters etc.

you best put a picture of what you have and let someone look and advise on the quickest and easiest method.

ciao

new image add a layer then go back down and delete the background white layer. you will be working with a transparent canvas at that point.

also don't forget to save as > .png

Just so I understand you correctly!

I have my image open (text.jpg).

Your saying: Add a layer

Then go back down to my original image (text.jpg) and erase all the white section using the eraser.

Then save the image as text.png

Thank You

Michael

My interpretation, subject to verification by trying it, of course, is that you open a new file, not the one you were working on, immediately add a layer, go back to the first layer [which defaults to the name 'background' I notice!], remove the first layer, just make it go away, thus leaving you with a second layer just hanging out by itself, floating over the vast emptiness which is the nuked background layer. Do your stuff on that second layer and everything should be snazzy. So long as you save it as .png.

I'm going to try this, if it works my struggle to produce a watermark image to use with FastStone Photo Resizer will be over, and I shall be able to lay claim to the results of my work without nasty icky boxes blocking out the image. [insert maniacal evil laughter here]

Thanks all, nifty searching the forum and finding the answer in nothing flat!

yrs,

kd7mvs

John Mead, kd7mvs