I can't save, delete or move image-files on PDN!

Im a designer, and two VERY important large BMP IMAGE FILES i recently created and edited many times in PDN now CANNOT be SAVED, DELETED or MOVED !

(my other similarly-large image files are NOT affected)....

IMPORTANT NOTES :

1.  I use WINDOWS 10 (home edition / 64-bit based).

2.  I never need or use LAYERS in creating or editing my images (and if i accidentally press the "merge layers" menu-item, i can then undo that)....

3.  I save ALL my image-files ONLY as BMPs because it is the ONLY "lossless" image-format available and USABLE for me on PDN and Windows 10.

During a SAVE/DELETE/MOVE process, the percentage window just freezes at "100%", and then NOTHING (stays frozen forever) !....the ONLY way ive found to UNFREEZE it is to open the TASK MANAGER and CLOSE PDN, which cancels ALL my latest work on the image !....

Any way i try to SAVE, DELETE or MOVE it (to the RECYCLE bin, for example), a percentage-graph window appears, stating "working on it", but no percentage count-down or anything happens (the graph stays on-screen forever), so i then have to open TASK MANAGER and CLOSE PDN (losing ALL my latest file-work) to return to my image files !....

I also tried RESTARTING (which does NOT fix it), and searched online for a SOLUTION....Does ANYONE on PDN (....Rick ?....) have a solution ?

How big are we talking? 10,000 x 10,000?  100,000 x 100,000? Even bigger than that?

EDIT: Also, what's preventing you from saving the file as .PNG, .TGA, .PDN, etc? I'm guessing the program that requires those images can only use .BMP?

Edited by 3dgamerman

• toe_head2001 changed the title to I can't save, delete or move image-files on PDN!
5 hours ago, hypercat said:

Im a designer,

I'm willing to believe you, except then you said this....

I never need or use LAYERS......

I save ALL my image-files ONLY as BMPs because.....

🙄

During a SAVE/DELETE/MOVE process,

Paint.net can't move files. Are you trying to do this using file explorer when the image is still open?

Hello y'all !  Im a home concept-vehicle designer and long-time user of PDN, and recently after returning to work on a couple of my BMP images, i discovered i am unable to SAVE, DELETE or MOVE these two BMP images (side-view versions of a concept vehicle of mine) !!!....Are these two BMPs "corrupted" ?....

THE PROBLEM When i click SAVE (for either of these two BMPs), a message process-percentage box appears saying "working on it....", but the percent continuously remains at "0%", and nothing happens !....SAME thing when i try to DELETE or MOVE those BMPs.  And the ONLY way i found i can STOP that process is by opening the TASK MANAGER (ctrl+alt+delete) and closing PDN, which CANCELS ALL my latest work on the BMP image !!!....My other image files are NOT affected.

IMPORTANT NOTES :

1.  My system One 2014 Toshiba Satellite 15" 1080p laptop (64-bit based) pc with 687 GB total hard-drive memory (181 GB used), connected to a 2016 Vizio 32" 1080p HDTV/monitor (and two 2016 Insignia stereo pc speakers), using Windows 10 (home edition) and the Firefox browser (latest version 78.0.1).

2.  I use PDN to save ALL my image-files as BMPs, as it is the ONLY "lossless" image format available and practically USABLE for me, in PDN.

3.  Most of my image BMPs are way under 10 MB, but many of my concept BMPS are near or over 100MB each (necessary for fine-detail work), and the two problem-BMPs are both 140 MB each.

Altho i was able to save new/editable copies of these two BMPs,  i still want to know WHY this happened and HOW (if possible) to fix this problem, as it MAY happen again in the future....Ive searched the PDN forums and the Internet without success....Anyone here have the WHY and/or HOW ?

8 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'm willing to believe you, except then you said this....

🙄

Paint.net can't move files. Are you trying to do this using file explorer when the image is still open?

No, i was not using the File Explorer, and all my image-files are set to automatically open in PDN, whether i open it from PDN or FE.

14 hours ago, hypercat said:

a percentage-graph window appears, stating "working on it",

As far as I know, this is a problem with File Explorer and not Paint.net (but I may be wrong too).

It may be worth looking at this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-working-on-it-message-on-new-pc/26db85ec-8808-414c-bfe0-d8ce46f27c94

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.