Overlapping Text

The Spaced Text plugin will overlap letters on the same line if a negative space value is selected. However, that way you will not be able to have a letter shadow over its neighbour like in your example above.

I think the best way to achieve that is to type each letter on its own transparent layer and then move each letter around with the Move Tool and use the Drop Shadow plugin (or any of the other shadow plugins).

Xkds4Lh.png

If you are familiar with HTML and CSS you can use my plugin Dr Scott's Markup Renderer

Give your text a negative letter-spacing property in the CSS. Here I've used -9px to get the characters to overlap.

20200705-153509.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

If you are familiar with HTML and CSS you can use my plugin Dr Scott's Markup Renderer

Give your text a negative letter-spacing property in the CSS. Here I've used -9px to get the characters to overlap.

20200705-153509.jpg

In your example, the letters overlap but the shadow doesn't overlap the letters, it is behind the letters. I get a similar effect in Photoshop. So, basically the shadow is the problem not the letters. 

I think the original examples must have been done all in separate layers as others here have suggested.

If you look the shadows are not just overlapping shadows they seem to be using one of the blending modes (Multiply or Additive?). 

No doubt the experts here will correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK this can only be done if each element ie. each letter and its shadow, is in a separate layer.

Edited by IHaveNoName
clarity of meaning

IHaveNoName.png

On 7/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, IHaveNoName said:

I think the original examples must have been done all in separate layers as others here have suggested.

If you look the shadows are not just overlapping shadows they seem to be using one of the blending modes (Multiply or Additive?). 

No doubt the experts here will correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK this can only be done if each element ie. each letter and its shadow, is in a separate layer.

The original example is made with only one editable text layer with gradient, shadow and negative letter spacing. See video here:

https://imgur.com/gallery/rk4SnoF