Sudden bad performance

AnyOldBiscuit

I have been editing a large image file (20,000 by 20,000 pixels) on paint.net. For several sessions it worked fine considering the file size. But now (with my edits not substantially increasing the file size) attempting to open the file has resulted in my PC becoming excruciatingly slow. It worked before, but doesn't any more. Why is this?

It's an appreciably large image. Each time you add a layer you increase the memory overhead required for paint.net to manage it. I suspect you might be running out of memory. See this thread for more info https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/8606-out-of-memory-to-loadedit-an-image-read-this-first/ If you tell us how many layers your image has, and how much memory your system has we can do the math.

I see. That makes sense.

Since I have around 10 layers (cba to check properly, I'm sure you'll understand why), that takes me beyond my 16GB RAM capacity.

Edited by AnyOldBiscuit

Ram is fairly cheap. If you don't wish to upgrade, split off some layers into a separate image or merge a few of them together.