Pasting "Screenshot" image from Outlook into Paint.net increases image by about 56%

When I am composing an email and utilize the "Insert" -> "Screenshot" function in Outlook 2019 (Windows 10) to capture a portion of the screen, then copy and paste that into Paint.net in order to edit the image (such as circle something, adding a big arrow to point at something, etc.)... the image always pastes into Paint.net overly large and blurry.  I always then have to manually resize the image to about 64% the original size to make it match the original screenshot.

If I look at the image properties ("Format Picture...") in Outlook, it would say the image is (for example) 8" x 4".  But when I copy/paste that image from Outlook into Paint.net, the image automatically resizes to about 12.5" x 6.25" and is blurry.

Yet, if I use "Snip & Sketch" to obtain the screenshot, there is no distortion.  It pastes into Paint.net at the exact same size as was snipped.  The problem is, usually I am in Outlook and the "Screenshot" function is readily available to me, much easier than having to open Snip & Sketch from the taskbar or start menu.

Anyone know why this is happening?  I am assuming it may have something to do with DPI?  But Outlook doesn't mention the DPI of the screenshot under "Format Picture..." so I can't confirm this is the cause.  Anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

15 minutes ago, MikeP83 said:

Anyone know why this is happening?

My guess is that Outlook is putting an enlarged PNG on the clipboard, and Paint.NET is reading it instead of the correctly sized DIB.

This is a known bug with a number of Microsoft Office applications.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

15 hours ago, MikeP83 said:

Yet, if I use "Snip & Sketch" to obtain the screenshot, there is no distortion.  It pastes into Paint.net at the exact same size as was snipped.  The problem is, usually I am in Outlook and the "Screenshot" function is readily available to me, much easier than having to open Snip & Sketch from the taskbar or start menu.

You can use WinKey + Shift + S to use Snip&Sketch. That's pretty convenience.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg