Error opening very old .pdn files in v4.2.11

I can not open any older .pdn file. Same error messages as above.

I can only open newer .pdn files.

I was semi-sure that those files opened with previous versions of the program within the last year. So I reinstalled 4.2.10 and the older files opened again without issues.

As I kept the program relatively up to date all the time, if it helps, a file that was saved in January 2012 opens, a file that was saved in July 2011 does not open and provides above mentioned error.

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

Can you share that file?

not that exact file but all files older than january 2012 did not open. (pdn files of course)

here is one that i tested for sure which did not open with 4.2.11. zipped because pdn is not accepted, this one was saved in may 2009.  it does open with 4.2.10

dvd-logo.zip

Edited by wudd

@wudd I too tried to open this in 4.2.11 and it would not open. 

However, I managed to open it in 3.5.11 but it is only one layer with the DVD text only.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

This appears to be the same issue that's seen with the .XCF GIMP plugin.

Application version: paint.net 4.2.11

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Collections.Specialized.NameObjectCollectionBase.get_Count()
   at PaintDotNet.Collections.NameValueCollectionExtensions.ToArray(NameValueCollection nameValueCollection) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Collections\NameValueCollectionExtensions.cs:line 24
   at PaintDotNet.Document..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1039
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.SerializationInvoke(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext& context)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.CompleteISerializableObject(Object obj, SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.FixupSpecialObject(ObjectHolder holder)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.ObjectManager.DoFixups()
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1436
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 527
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Here's a build with a hotfix: 

Install that and this will be fixed. The fix will also be a part of the final/public release of version 4.2.12, coming soon.

This issue was only affecting PDN images saved with Paint.NET v3.5.8 or earlier (AFAICT).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Error opening very old .pdn files in v4.2.11