How to fix Pet Eye

26 minutes ago, Robyn said:

Does Paint.Net have a way to fix glowing pet eyes caused by flash?

Try this plugin:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/18085-eyeshine-animal-red-eye-removal/

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

4 minutes ago, null54 said:

Thanks!  Actually, I had found that link, but it's 10 years old and the link returns "This site can’t be reached." 😞

Do you know how I can either get that link to work, or get some other link?  Is there a list somewhere of all the plugins available?  I've never used a plugin and don't quite understand what they are?  Are they additions to the program written by someone other than Paint.net themselves?  (I've been using Paint.net for years, along with some other programs.)  Any help appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Robyn said:

Do you know how I can either get that link to work, or get some other link? 

I do not.

I posted about the dead link in the plugin thread, so hopefully another forum member will have a copy that can be reposted.

7 minutes ago, Robyn said:

Is there a list somewhere of all the plugins available?

https://forums.getpaint.net/forum/37-plugin-index/

15 minutes ago, Robyn said:

I've never used a plugin and don't quite understand what they are?

Plugins allow programmers to add functionality to Paint.NET.

Currently there are 2 types, Effects and FileTypes.

Effects add new items to the Adjustments and Effects menus.

FileTypes add new items to the open and save dialogs.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

9 minutes ago, null54 said:

I do not.

I posted about the dead link in the plugin thread, so hopefully another forum member will have a copy that can be reposted.

https://forums.getpaint.net/forum/37-plugin-index/

Thanks!  I hope they do (repost it).  

9 minutes ago, null54 said:

Plugins allow programmers to add functionality to Paint.NET.

Currently there are 2 types, Effects and FileTypes.

Effects add new items to the Adjustments and Effects menus.

FileTypes add new items to the open and save dialogs.

I've just added the file to the first post in this thread: 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I've just added the file to the first post in this thread: 

Fantastic!  I now have the file.  Thanks so much for your help!  I just have 1 more question.

I haven't installed the file yet.  I got to a page on how to install plugins, which says to create a folder, "paint.net App Files" inside My Documents.  My question is, must this folder be inside My Documents, or can I put it somewhere else?

Thanks so much again!

Robyn

I see my reply did duplicate...

I realize, I didn't explain my question well.  I do want it in My Documents, just not in the ROOT of My Documents.  I'd like to put it in a subfolder (already existing) to keep it from cluttering up my main My Docs listing.  Is that possible?

Are you using the MS Store version of paint.net or the Classic version?

If you don't know - open the app and go to Settings > Diagnostics > Install type. It will say either Appx or Classic.

25 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Are you using the MS Store version of paint.net or the Classic version?

If you don't know - open the app and go to Settings > Diagnostics > Install type. It will say either Appx or Classic.

Actually, I don't even have a menu item, Settings.  Strangely, what I have is File, Edit, View, Image, Layers, Adjustments, and Effects - and to the right of that is just a white square with a little down arrow to the right of it, like it's a menu, but when you click on the arrow, it just says, Untitled.  I don't know if this is some error or not.  Never noticed it before and don't know if it was there before.

However, the program is undoubtedly the Classic version, as I've been using it for years, don't think I've ever been to the MS Store (for Paint.net or anything else), and periodically am told there's an update, which I always accept and get it directly from Paint.net.

4 hours ago, Robyn said:

which says to create a folder, "paint.net App Files" inside My Documents

This does not apply to the Classic Version @Robyn

4 hours ago, Robyn said:

I'd like to put it in a subfolder (already existing) to keep it from cluttering up my main My Docs listing.

Ensure you unzip the file first. Place the file in "C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects" Folder. Restart Paint and the new plugin should appear under Effects/Photo sub-menu.

Hope this helps :)

• Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Yes, it helped!  Thank you!

I think it will take a lot of playing around before I get good with it.  At first glance, this fix looks better than the prior "pink eyes", but on looking closer, way too black, and way too jagged.  But at least I now have something to work with - and have also learned how to download and install plugins!  I have NOT learned how to post pix here.  I didn't want such big ones, but at least you can see the result.

IMG_0716_L_1000.JPG.635f7452f795febd384cccb1f1d513a6.JPGIMG_0716_LTlx_1000.JPG.0bab2be33a2e1ea5302e2615c1295e79.JPG

Yikes!  From what I can tell, my two pictures uploaded, but my text not at all!  (I'm obviously deficient with this forum.)

Here's my text:

Thanks for this!  But it only tantalizes me.  My Paint.net does not have the screen you show!  When I was asking about plug-ins, I was asked if I was using the Classic version or the MS Store version.  I am using the Classic version.  Are you using the MS Store version?  If so, are you using the regular menu, or a plug-in?  If you are showing the MS Store version, without a plug-in, then that version must be better than the Classic - rather upsetting to me as I never knew I had an inferior version.  If I do, then I will have to get the MS Store version.  

Since my less-than-stellar result before, in which the eyes came out too black, I played around some more.  I didn't succeed with the Paint.net plug-in, but I realized, the particular shot I'm using as a test is unusual for "pet eye", because instead of the typical green eyes, this cat's eyes look red.  Therefore, I wondered if a red-eye tool for humans might work.  I didn't succeed with Paint.net in that either, but another program I have, called Photo! Editor made a big, but not complete, improvement.  I then used Paint.net's cloning tool to finish the job.  (Photo! Editor and other programs that I have also have cloning tools, but I find Paint.net the best for that.)

On this particular shot, I now have a result I'm happy with, although, of course, I'd be happier with less steps.  But anyway, I will post the result here.

Oh, wow!  Downloaded the Color Mixer, and yes, it worked!!  Thank you so much!

I didn't think the Store version was the inferior one.  I thought the Classic was inferior because I didn't have that screen.

So now I know, I didn't have it because it was a plug-in.  (Incidentally, I also didn't realize you were the author of the

Eyeshine plug-in.)  

I have plenty more animal pix that need the eyes fixed, so am super happy to now have tools to do it.  I'll look at your

other programs too, but for now, those pet eyes will keep me busy for awhile.  Thank you again!

17 minutes ago, Robyn said:

I didn't think the Store version was the inferior one.  I thought the Classic was inferior ...

Yeah, my bad. I read and understood your comment correctly, but I typed the wrong thing.

18 minutes ago, Robyn said:

Incidentally, I also didn't realize you were the author of the Eyeshine plug-in.

I assume you're referring to @Tanel, whom is the author of both Eyeshine and Color Mixer.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab