Google Chrome: Next-Gen Web Browser Released!

What are your initial thoughts of the browser?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are your initial thoughts of the browser?

• I like the browser very much. The lightweight UI with the near lightning load times have me addicted and I probably will not turn back to alternative browsers
    • It is a very solid release but I will be staying with my choice of web browser
    • I do not like it and will probably not release it
    • I have not downloaded it yet!

I have to say, if they release an OS, Microsoft is finished.

Hardly. For starters, there's tons more to Microsoft than operating systems.

Programs, programming languages, DirectX, Visual Studio, for starters. Now, do you really think Microsoft would help Google at all to create a OS with these features?

Ever wondered why PC games are pretty much only playable on Windows nowdays? Only XP/Vista have DirectX support. Unix and Mac's have their own seperate programming languages. How many Windows exclusive programs are there out there? See what I mean?

Now, onto the actual browser, it's decent, handy for looking stuff up quickly, but the UI needs to be a bit less awkard, and, there isn't even a view page source option from when I've looked :roll:

Programs, programming languages, DirectX, Visual Studio, for starters. Now, do you really think Microsoft would help Google at all to create a OS with these features?

Ever wondered why PC games are pretty much only playable on Windows nowdays? Only XP/Vista have DirectX support. Unix and Mac's have their own seperate programming languages. How many Windows exclusive programs are there out there? See what I mean?

Now, onto the actual browser, it's decent, handy for looking stuff up quickly, but the UI needs to be a bit less awkard, and, there isn't even a view page source option from when I've looked :roll:

true, but surely if the popularity of mac and limux dxpanded moreton-in-mars vames would be ported tp opengl. many windoze ganEs also worl on wine although i am unsuee if rhese use directx.

KaHuc.png
I am really worried for mozzilla :? :? :? ....oh well at least they've got songbird and thunderbird ect

Songbird is not from Mozilla, only built on Mozilla components (XUL). Pioneers of the Inevitable is the group responsible for Songbird.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Yes, there is a "View Source". Document >> Developer >> View Source. Or hit Ctrl+U.

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

It's only in BETA, so I can't wait for the full thing to be released.

I've found a few bugs, and reported them, but I think it's great.

I'm only using it for when I'm using a memory intensive program, like Photoshop, or when I'm just popping on for a second.

I'm only sticking to Firefox because I need some of my add-ons, or I'll go insane.

Google better have some of these add-ons for Chrome, or I'm staying with Firefox as my main.

Namor-1.png

Always 100% PDN.

|Gallery|

O r si ply right-click -> vies source

Good gravy Simon, what happened? Is your keyboard eating your fingers, or are you just typing while half asleep? :P

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

One thing I do miss is right clicking on a picture and having a view properties menu.

Another thing that bugs me, when I surf to a page to an anchor (you know, #) the anchor is no longer visible once all of the pictures in the page load. Why hasn't a web browser fixed that yet? It seems really bad with Chrome.

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

true, but surely if the popularity of mac and limux dxpanded moreton-in-mars vames would be ported tp opengl. many windoze ganEs also worl on wine although i am unsuee if rhese use directx.

Not really, OpenGL was used more than DirectX in the days of Half Life, now it's the other way around, and I doubt Mac/Linux were more popular back then.

Better stop those offtopic guys..

And besides, "Unix and Mac's have their own seperate programming languages"?? Well Apple has its silly proprietary stuff of course (any platform specific programming languages among it perhaps?) but Unix most definitely doesn't have its own programming languages..

Even if they did, it would just be a matter of time till someone wrote an open source compiler for it..

But this thread was about Chrome. Chrome apparently has the same auto-download bug as Safari (so we probably have Webkit to blame), see here: http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/ ... overed.htm

And of course it is was worse on Vista..

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

great browser, I am using it at the moment, love the homepage feature.

try opera, it's even greater...

i tried chrome, and i must say, i am not sure about the spying from google

Spying?!

The browser is open source. If there's any spying going on... news stories would be everywhere about it.

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

The browser is open source. If there's any spying going on... news stories would be everywhere about it.

Unless they only add surveillance technolagy to the public build and not the source code, I am NOT a lawyer but I recall that GPL(?) restrictions do not apply to the copyright holders.

KaHuc.png
:(

Chrome doesn't offer APNG support.......yet.

And it takes up way too much ram

The forum open, my only tab, and its at 17k

:shock: Are you kidding me? I did some extensive RAM comparison between Chrome, FF, IE, and Opera and I can tell you that Chrome by far was better than FF, IE, or Opera when it came to the RAM it was taking up. Want to test it? Open up all browsers and open up your Gmail account (or other Javascript enabled page) then in Chrome open up a new tab and type About:Memory and compare. Don't forget to subtract the RAM that the About:Memory tab is taking up for the full comparison. Chrome is very good at keeping RAM use down.

signature.png

FF is on my machine at this moment using 239056KB (approx 233MB) RAM

That is not even the highest that I've seen it go

That's under 6% of my RAM though, so no problem

after writing this, the ram usage went up to 242044KB lol

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(