Sign in to follow this  
Mike Ryan

Google Chrome: Next-Gen Web Browser Released!

What are your initial thoughts of the browser?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are your initial thoughts of the browser?

• I like the browser very much. The lightweight UI with the near lightning load times have me addicted and I probably will not turn back to alternative browsers
    • It is a very solid release but I will be staying with my choice of web browser
    • I do not like it and will probably not release it
    • I have not downloaded it yet!

I'm posting from Chrome right now. I'm impressed by its efficient use of screen space, as well as the speed of loading.

However, with the lack of extensibility (so far) and no AdBlock means I'm going to be sticking with Firefox for the foreseeable future. But I am thinking about reskinning my Firefox installation to match this screen setup...

Blogged! You know, since that's the thing to do when a new nerdy thing is released. ;)

Summarized version: I like it. Love the interface, love the speed, but if no ad-blocking support is planned by their stable release, it's a deal-breaker.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

I too am posting from Chrome right now. Love it. It's really fast and simple. I never really used AdBlock anyways (Gasp!), so it's good enough for me. The only things i miss are the plugins that I had on Firefox.

I don't really like the vista-imitation buttons (top right corner) though (they look out of place on XP)

Too many other programs have them as well, why do they do that??

I like this. HOWEVER, I have one problem. When I use the scroll-bar on my mouse pad (I'm on a laptop), I can only scroll down, and I have to use the scroll-bar on the right-hand side of the window to scroll up. This isn't annoting when I'm using my tablet, but it is when I'm not.

ive just downloaded it :D i really like it but i miss having click and drag and dictionary omg! it has a dictionary but i see some problems :P but it is really quick a lot quicker than firefox and ie :D

Now I can't decide which browser to use. Solution? I use Firefox for an hour then use Chrome for another hour :P

Oh, and I just bought a paper this morning. Nice long article (takes up about half a page vertically) about it with generally positive feedback. A bit surprising, due to the fact that I haven't really seen news about a web browser in a newspaper (and if there was, I probably missed it)

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2008/0 ... w_w-1.html

Nice results on the poll as well :)

You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Why the freak would they include that? I hold my intellectual property dear, and if Google can just steal it away whenever they choose... I guess I'm switching back to Firefox. But darn, I loved the speed of this baby!

Farewell Chrome!

I've tried it out and it's pretty impressive but it will still have to go quite a bit before I replace the fox. But I must say, what an impressive release - would love it if there were extensions for it like the fox. :mrgreen:

It's impressive, but I actually quite like to have my toolbars on FF to tell me useful things such as display my RSS feeds and weather forecasts, the Vista styling sensibilities just look out of place on my machine, and I just can't live without my Firegestures and easy-reference plugin for coursework and the like. It'll have to evolve significantly before it can replace the 'Fox in my books.

Either way, such a problem would still be very annoying.

Also, is it just me or don't you think there should be an option for a home button?

Either way, such a problem would still be very annoying.

Also, is it just me or don't you think there should be an option for a home button?

The home button is the little "+" to the right of your tabs. ;)

Oh, and hotmail does not run the rich editor when composing an email. :(

The software just assumes that because it has not heard of the browser, it is an old browser and thus not supported!

I figured. I was making a joke. :-P Simon, you seem to have become more literal since I've been gone. ;-)