aworkerb

causing trouble for OneDrive for Business?

Recommended Posts

Recently, whenever I use Paint.net to save an image file into a OneDrive for Business synced folder, it causes file synchronization to stop, and I have to reboot in order to properly restart the sync. A coworker confirmed getting the same problem. 

 

Has anyone else who uses OneDrive for Business (and synchronizes their folders so they can be accessed through File Explorer) seen this problem? Or if you haven't tried saving to a synced folder, mind trying? (Not sure if data points for the consumer version of OneDrive are relevant or not.) 

 

I'm running paint.net 4.2.10 (Final 4.2.10.7348.40816) and OneDrive version 2020 (Build 19.232.1124.0012). 

 

I've made the sync fail several times upon saving a file in Paint.net. I do not currently know if saving files using other applications causes the same problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I use one drive personal, not business. I do have a subscription. I also have issues sometimes such as folders that i create from "save as zip folder"that I can't find with explorer unless I save to desktop. There are other little quirks that show up with other programs also regarding allocation of image sequences. Windows seems to be working out the kinks though as problems seem to be "going away". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe OneDrive for Business doesn't correctly support NTFS Transactions?

 

That's what Paint.NET uses when saving a file so that the whole operation appears as an atomic operation to the rest of the system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

8 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Maybe OneDrive for Business doesn't correctly support NTFS Transactions?

 

That's what Paint.NET uses when saving a file so that the whole operation appears as an atomic operation to the rest of the system.

 

I won't pretend to know this by any means, but from extremely quick research it seems that regular OneDrive ONLY support NTFS, and I imagine that would necessitate supporting NTFS transactions, and I'd speculate OneDrive for Business is pretty much the same, but who knows. 

 

More significantly, I didn't notice this problem up until sometime in the past month or so, and I was definitely using Paint.NET to save into OneDrive sync'd folders for a while before that (months, at least). 

 

... and since Paint.NET was last updated in mid-Feb, but OneDrive was updated in early April, I'm leaning toward that version of OneDrive being the culprit. I'm trying to get the go-ahead from my corp help desk to install a late April update. 

 

17 hours ago, Hypure said:

Yes, I use one drive personal, not business. I do have a subscription. I also have issues sometimes such as folders that i create from "save as zip folder"that I can't find with explorer unless I save to desktop. There are other little quirks that show up with other programs also regarding allocation of image sequences. Windows seems to be working out the kinks though as problems seem to be "going away". 

 

For my situation, everything works normally, with the OneDrive folders acting just like local ones, up until the point where I save from Paint.NET into one of them. 

Edited by aworkerb
added note about software versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add something to the upcoming update -- 4.2.11 -- to turn off the use of NTFS transactions. It'll be either a command-line arg or an AppSetting (registry key, essentially, but also controllable via command-line). I have no idea if this will help, but it will help troubleshoot if that's the cause.

 

I'll be putting out the beta this coming week and there will be information in the release notes about it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning to put out a beta for 4.2.11 in the coming days. With that version you can launch Paint.NET with the /disableNtfsTx command-line argument to see if NTFS Transactions are the issue here.

 

Conveniently, you can launch it via Run with paintdotnet:/disableNtfsTx (no need to hunt down the PaintDotNet.exe, in other words)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

I'm planning to put out a beta for 4.2.11 in the coming days. With that version you can launch Paint.NET with the /disableNtfsTx command-line argument to see if NTFS Transactions are the issue here.

 

Conveniently, you can launch it via Run with paintdotnet:/disableNtfsTx (no need to hunt down the PaintDotNet.exe, in other words)

 

This is great -- looking forward to trying it, and will report back. Thanks!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: I installed Paint.net 4.2.11 beta build 7433 and... so far so good. When I run it with disableNtfsTx applied, and save a file into a OneDrive synced folder, the sync remains stable and things appear to work as they should! Thank you! 

 

Now to figure out how to ensure that paintdotnet.exe always runs with that switch, even when I double-click a pdn file or right-click and pick Edit for an image file. edit: figured it out, with surgical registry edits to values within Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\paint.net.1

Edited by aworkerb
added note about registry edits
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, armed with that information, there's a good chance I'll just make it the default (to disable NTFS Transactions, that is)

 

So if you get an error message when trying to use the /disableNtfsTx command-line argument, just remove it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, the new 4.2.11 beta build 7441 has NTFS Transactions completely disabled. No need for /disableNtfsTx from here on out. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.