Export to Spine animation software?

Hey there,

there do exist several exporters for gimp, inkscape, illustrator and so on.

Is there a plug-in or other thing available to export my multi-layered image in a way, spine can understand, like it does with gimp images?

gimp has an awful UI and is all but user friendly. I would prefer paint.net a million times over gimp or inkscape.

I google'd and searched through the forums here but had no success with keywords like esoteric (the makers of spine) or spine itself.

any hints appreciated!

Here is a github repo from esoteric software where they offer their export scripts for gimp & co - maybe some developer can read from this what needs to be done to get such a functionality into paint.net: https://github.com/EsotericSoftware/spine-scripts

thanks for reading,

cheers H

3 hours ago, Haerion said:

maybe some developer can read from this what needs to be done to get such a functionality into paint.net

Due to the way Paint.NET plugins work the export plugin would have to save the required files into a zip file, that the user would then have to decompress.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

29 minutes ago, null54 said:

... that the user would then have to decompress.

Would it be possible to add an automated ZIP extraction at the very end of the OnSave() override?

Or is that a "dark pattern", and frowned upon for a FileType plugin. I seem to remember reading: "Only write to the Stream you are given."

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

6 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Would it be possible to add an automated ZIP extraction at the very end of the OnSave() override?

I don't believe so. As, a filetype plugin is not supposed to know the name of the file it is saving. It is just supposed to write all bytes to the open filestream it is handed.

Thanks for your replies, seems you know what you're talking about 🙂

Only thing I can not read out of your comments is the answer to the question, whether it would be possible to write such a filetype extension.

There is an extension existing for .ico files which is also a very common file format and contains multiple images from all the layers.

Could you be so kind to explain a bit that thing about "given streams" and that topics?

12 hours ago, Haerion said:

Only thing I can not read out of your comments is the answer to the question, whether it would be possible to write such a filetype extension.

Yes it would, but as I mentioned in my previous post the plugin would have to save a zip file.

12 hours ago, Haerion said:

Could you be so kind to explain a bit that thing about "given streams" and that topics?

Paint.NET FileType plugins do not know the location of the file that is being saved (or even if it is a file).

A Stream is an abstraction that allows reading and writing bytes from a specific location without the calling code having to know what the underlying storage is.

FileType plugins that save images are required to write to the stream that Paint.NET gives them.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait