Are there other Fonts you can get for paint.net?

Hi, just wondering if there are other types of fonts you can download or a way to modify or stretch

fonts with a special effect tool? For example if you look at my example below of what im looking for

where it says THE GADGET STORE on the very top. The font is kind of stretched to fit in the space. 

http://www.ectdemostore.com/rpgadgets/

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by neptune1
add more notes

Greetings,

There are many free fonts that are available for Windows.
Paint.NET does not use exclusive fonts but uses the fonts that are or can be installed into Windows.

Recently there has been a plugin developed that applies graphic design elements upon the fonts:

Edited by HyReZ
to add more nfo / correcting errors

You can stretch any font to fill a space quite easily without any plugins.

Just make sure you use a separate, transparent layer for the text - draw a selection box around the text then use 'Move Selected Pixels' to adjust the size, stretch or compress it.

It works best if you use an oversized font and compress it rather than use a smaller size font stretched. Letter uprights or cross pieces will compress in width/height with respect to the compression direction but if you keep the compression within certain limits it doesn't look offensive.

You can also use Layer > Zoom if you do not want to mess around with changing font sizes but remember that is actually very easy to do and perhaps you're not aware of (I was not for a long time) : the font size box is interactive you can change the font size to almost anything. You are not just stuck with the default size options PDN displays

Nice plugin though, hadn't come across that before; could be very useful. Thanks.

IHaveNoName.png

FYI:

In Paint.NET the maximum font size is 2000 points. The font size box will 'red out' if you type in a larger number.
In the Creative Text Pro plugin the largest font size is 500 points, also the plugin is extremely slow on large canvases.
You have to stretch the text out side of the plugin.

I recommend holding down the shift key while stretching to maintain aspect ratio and limit anti-aliasing distortion to the text!

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BoltBait said:

So, just download and install new fonts, restart Paint.NET and you should be all set. 

No need to reboot the app if you "Install for all users".

Next update (4.2.11) should also not require rebooting the app if you do "Install" which only installs for the current user. This was just recently brought to my attention on Twitter 

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

4 hours ago, neptune1 said:

HI ok so how do you  draw a selection box around the text then use 'Move Selected Pixels' to adjust the size, stretch or compress it.?

1. Open your existing image or create a new canvas to work on.
  2. Add a new layer :LayersAddNewLayer:
  3. Render your text to the new layer using the text tool :TextTool:or one of the text rendering plugins.
  4. Activate the Rectangle Select tool :RectangleSelectTool:and draw a selection around your text (left-click & drag)
  5. Press M on your keyboard or activate the Move tool :MoveTool:
  6. Click and drag any of the eight control nubs to resize the text.
  7. Press Ctrl + D to deselect when you're finished.

If you want to tweak the text further, go back to step 4.

4 hours ago, neptune1 said:

HI ok so how do you  draw a selection box around the text then use 'Move Selected Pixels' to adjust the size, stretch or compress it.?

This is a bit rough and ready:-

1051663236_PDNCompressText.thumb.png.d64b0119c85c389e39dd11b4a90a81ae.pngN

Note, as said, the text should be in its own transparent background layer.

IHaveNoName.png

12 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Next update (4.2.11) should also not require rebooting the app if you do "Install" which only installs for the current user. This was just recently brought to my attention on Twitter 

That would be great!  I remember submitting similar request for refreshing plug-ins instead of having to restart PDN.  I know Gimp offer a way of doing that but I don't want Gimp.  I want PDN.

• Like 1

There are many fonts available online but to be honest none of them I have found is standard. If you found something which is good looking and can be used for a standard purpose then please share over here. Good fonts are really rare these days, people are getting less creative and uploading whatever they feel like. 

Overtime I have collected ~4000 fonts, but rarely use more than a couple or three dozen.
Within the few that I use, kerning and tracking is the thing that make the fonts pleasing to view in a project.
Using creative kerning and tracking to adjust spacing will help your font projects also!

I have a humongous personal collection of fonts that I've been continuing to add to as I find more over time. As others have noted, paint.net works with any & all fonts that you've installed to your system. I haven't seen any streamlined way of modifications to glyphs such as kerning, tracking, or even editing the letterforms themselves, I have been doing all of those manually by measuring things on a single pixel level.

Here are the links to a couple of plugins that can help in adjusting font spacing:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/111094-spaced-text-variable-letter-and-line-spacing/

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/25214-text-update-20140427/

You can also create your font layout in MS Word, Publisher, and/or PowerPoint and copy and paste it into a Paint.NET transparent layer.

Similar information links by me:

Posted December 19, 2018 (edited)

Posted December 27, 2019 (edited)

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, Rick Brewster said:

BTW I just tested this -- and it already works. Whether you install a font per-user or for all-users, Paint.NET does correctly refresh the font list.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg