How do I rotate a selection?

When I make a selection of a part of my image using the rectangular or circular selection tool, and then attempt to rotate that selection using the Layers > Rotate/Zoom tool, the selection will rotate right out of the selection window and disappear somewhere.

I thought that the Rotate/Zoom tool was supposed to rotate about the center of the area that was selected.

What am I doing wrong?

Can you select a center of rotation with the Rotate/Zoom tool?

45 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

If you want to rotate only what you have selected, you need to use the selection handles. 

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, I can rotate a circular selection very nicely with Move Selected Pixels and using the rotational selection handles, but I was hoping to use the Layers > Rotate/Zoom tool to rotate the selection by a precise angle. It will do this, but it will not rotate about the center of the selection area.

Is it possible to specify a center of rotation with the Layers > Rotate/Zoom tool?

4 hours ago, John-E said:

Is it possible to specify a center of rotation with the Layers > Rotate/Zoom tool?

Sorry no. It uses the center of the layer.

4 hours ago, John-E said:

rotate the selection by a precise angle.

Make your selection then hit M on your keyboard to activate the Move tool. Right click & drag to make a rotation. When you do the angle of rotation is shown in the Status Bar.

Hot Tip: While the right mouse button is held down use the keyboard arrow keys to fine tune the rotation. The further away the pointer is from the center of rotation, the finer control you get ;)

12 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Make your selection then hit M on your keyboard to activate the Move tool. Right click & drag to make a rotation. When you do the angle of rotation is shown in the Status Bar.  While the right mouse button is held down use the keyboard arrow keys to fine tune the rotation. The further away the pointer is from the center of rotation, the finer control you get ;)

Thanks. That was exactly what I needed to know.