Layers/Transparent Selection

Hello, I have been using Paint.net and I understand that the creator does not wish to add MSPaint's "Transparent Selection", however I have been trying to use Layers for almost 3 Hours to make the White/Transparent Checkers not fill the first image i am trying to paste the other image on. 

What is the Simplest way to use Layers in that topic?

9 hours ago, TheAmazingsDragoon said:

I have been trying to use Layers for almost 3 Hours to make the White/Transparent Checkers not fill the first image i am trying to paste the other image on. 

Greetings,

The 'White/Transparent Checkers' does not actually 'fill' the layer. It is merely a visual indicator that the layer is transparent.
If you open an image into a Paint.NET layer and use the 'Eraser Tool' to remove content, the checkerboard indicator is used to represent the portion of the image that has become transparent.

Edited by HyReZ

Hey there TAD - welcome to the forum :)

You can safely ignore the white & gray checkers. These denote transparent areas inside paint.net and will not show up in your saved image.

Pasting an image onto an existing one? Try Ctrl + Shift + V. It pastes the clipboard image into a new layer. Easy peasy :)

More Info: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

• 7 months later...

In respect to transparent selection, give up.  Go to a different product.  I got SO sick of having to go through hoops to simply type in a bit of text and move it next to a graphic without deleting some of the graphic.  The pious opinion that nobody should be doing this staggers me.

I do a lot of simple graphics like this, but this one thing caused me to throw out the program.  Pity, otherwise it is quite good.  MSPaint was a bit of a dog, and in particular somewhere lost it's ability to draw a simple dotted line (making it useless as well), but people liked it.  Quick and nasty - nothing wrong with that.  There was a reason people liked it.

If something is difficult, and ASKED FOR BY COUNTLESS PEOPLE FOR AT LEAST A DECADE - telling them to use a far more cumbersome method just because of ideology is just plain braindead.  GIVE THE PEOPLE WANT THEY WANT!!  Experts don't have to use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just make it useful for the casual user.  I've now moved on, but would return if this one easy fix would be added, but I won't hold my breath, hard for some folk to remove caked on blinkers...

But perhaps someone has a plugin for it??  I couldn't see one.

And it has a free version, kudos for that.

Edited by stevek

1 hour ago, stevek said:

GIVE THE PEOPLE WANT THEY WANT!!

I have an idea... YOU give the people what they want.

Rick decided a long time ago to give the people what HE wants.  After all, It's his time and effort.

I think once you learn to work with layers you won't think it so cumbersome.  But, if you're not willing to learn... don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Like 2

It hasn't been asked for by "countless" people. Only a very small number of people.

If you've already moved on then why did you bother showing up here to throw a temper tantrum? Why'd you come and dump all over TheAmazingsDragoon's thread? I guess you won't mind if I ban you.

hard for some folk to remove caked on blinkers...

Oh the irony ...

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg