Pixey

How to make a simple Glassy Apple.

Simple Glassy Apple Tutorial

Plugins used are:

@lynxster4's Shape FruitAlign ObjectBevel Selection – Curves – Fragment Blur – Tile Reflection -  Gradient Mapping -

Gradient Mapping Presets - especially gold and silver.

PDF at the bottom.

Final-Apple-Image-with-reflection.png

To save time here is the Apple to copy for the tutorial:

lynxster-s-apple.png

1.       Start with a canvas of 1000 x 1000 and fill it with a light grey and white gradient.

2.       Make a new layer and draw the Apple, with the draw filled shape, in color #404040 about 732 x 830 pixels. Align to the center and GB at strength 10 and then use AA’s Assistant twice.

3      Duplicate the apple and on this layer, with the shift Key down, select outside of the apple and then Invert the selection.  Use Bevel Selection, at a strength of #6.

1.png

4.       Then deselect the apple and GB on default setting #2.  Change the mode to Negation and merge down to the layer below.

2.png

5.       Repeat Steps 3 & 4 twice more.  i.e. Duplicate, select apple, invert, bevel selection, deselect, GB and change to negation then merge down.   

6.       Change the resulting layer to Negation.

3.png

7.       Use Curves.    curves-4-PM-Friday.png

8.       Use layer 2 to select the apple, make a new layer and add radial gradient colors.  I used an orange and a red for the apple, two greens for the leaves and a tad of brown for the stalk.

4.png

9.       On resulting color layer use Fragment Blur at 4 & 4. 

5.png 

10.   Duplicate layer 2 and move it to the top of the layers.

11.   Fragment Blur at 4 & 4.

6.png

The previous steps are for a basic fruit, after which you can decorate further with gradients.

12.   Duplicate the red apple colors layer and with the Ellipse Select tool cut out half of the apple.

7.png

13.   Go to Gradient Mapping and choose a texture – I used Chrome in this example.

8.png

Then Radial Blur.

8-1.png

14.   Duplicate the whole Apple again and move it up a layer.  Again, use the Ellipse Select to cut it higher than before.

9.png

15.   Change the blend mode to Additive and Fragment Blur at 4 & 4.

10.png

16.   Again, duplicate the whole red apple and move it above the last color layer.  With the Ellipse select tool draw a circle and then Invert Selection and delete.  Note:  uncheck the layer to see that you line up with the last image beneath.

11.png

17.   Use Fragment blur at 4 & 4.

18.   Then use Gradient Mapping again.  I used Golden #8.

12.png

19.   You can always use the curves as well and Fragment Blur on 4 & 4.

20.   Finally, you can stretch your color layers a bit to cover the glass edges.

13-Stretch.png

21.   Then flatten all the layers including the background layer together.

little-apples.png

Simple Glassy Apple Tutorial.pdf

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Nice tut' @Pixey and subsequent results.  Interesting to see the basis of your great fruit .  Will give this a whirl soon 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hope you feel better soon

The body is getting there thanks ... the mind with the Fibro' Fog not so much.

I went to the shops earlier to buy a cabbage, after walking around for 10 minutes I had to swallow my pride and go home and ask what I went out for 

Apparently, I'm the cabbage 🤢 ... and the way I'm struggling to get to grips with this tut' like a total newbie, I'll sort of agree - I think I'll come back to it over the next couple of days

Thank you for the compliment @Pixey but all I did was follow the steps in your well written tutorial. All credit should go to you.

Blending modes are beyond me and I'm always impressed when tutors teach me how to get such beautiful results with just a couple of clicks.

Edited by Djisves
typos
  • Like 1

That is very creative @welshblue and reminds me of the helium balloons.  Love the color, my fave - pink :)  Thank you very much 😍