How to manpulate position of figures in a picture

Isn't it annoying when you DO work something out ad hoc but then forget how you did it?? I should have been making notes as I did it. OK this is what I want to remember: OK you have a picture of two people. They are both facing each other. I want to position one person behind the other.

Now in my first attempt I wasn't too concerned with some of the surrounding around one on the people being part of the re-positioning, but of course I am aware that cutting all back ground from one figure is of course most likely the better way. But can some one simply tell me how to do this?

Without seeing your source image(s) and your layers in Paint.NET, I can only give you hints.  Below my signatures is a link to a tutorial that shows how to separate foreground from background.  That being said, to achieve what you are hoping to do, it is strongly encouraged to take advantage of layers.  Let say you have two persons that you want to manipulate.  What I would do is place Person A on Layer 1, separated from the background, and place Person B on Layer 2.  That way, you can do what you wish to do in PDN.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw

28 minutes ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

Without seeing your source image(s) and your layers in Paint.NET, I can only give you hints.  Below my signatures is a link to a tutorial that shows how to separate foreground from background.  That being said, to achieve what you are hoping to do, it is strongly encouraged to take advantage of layers.  Let say you have two persons that you want to manipulate.  What I would do is place Person A on Layer 1, separated from the background, and place Person B on Layer 2.  That way, you can do what you wish to do in PDN.

Does the link tell me how to do that? if not, can you tell me how to place person A on layer 1 separated from the background etc

I may be able to fine tune what I am asking at the moment: OK I can see that is I select one of the figures in a new layer I can then use the 'move pixels tool' to move it. BUT HOW do I horizontally reverse the selected image. because if I try to reverse the image that is selected, the whole image horizontally reverses. Now I did this before (just reversing the one selected image in the picture, but have forgotten how I did it.

If it helps there is this plugin: StickMan. With it you can render a stick figure to it's own layer.

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2020 at 2:38 PM, julianosos said:

Does the link tell me how to do that? if not, can you tell me how to place person A on layer 1 separated from the background etc

THANKS. I think I am learning more and more though how I am doing it there could be easier ways. What I do not if I wanna manpulate two figures, is  open the image , and then open another image and remove background and then paste into new layer (if i remember right)

Paste or create your figures on separate layers. These should be separate from the layer containing the background. A new layer can be added with this icon at the bottom of the layers window :LayersAddNewLayer:.

Which layer are you working on? Its the one with the blue highlight. Click a different layer in the layers window to edit another one.