Sign in to follow this  
typiiz

Cut out text with part of the background around

Hello guys. Its the first time I am posting here so I hope this is in the right category.
I have searched and searched but cannot find the right answer (or if I am not using the rirght key words I dont know).

I want to outline my text, but not with a solid color. I want to outline the text with a specific background around. I had a hard time even finding a good example of it, so I'll post something relatable. The outline in this picture is white, but I want to choose a specific picture/background and cut it out around the text. Do you guys get me on this? 
Is this even possible in paint.net? I have tried to do it by hand, but the result is not good enough. 

sb1-.png?1581650805&s=842398a9f8673c53c1

A picture can speak a 1000 words.  Hopefully this video will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfpstkA3sU&feature=youtu.be

Plugins used: Drop Shadow Switch Alpha to Grey Alpha Mask

You could use the magic wand instead of Alpha Mask ... but personal taste is that it's a cleaner cut

Of course this technique will work better on some text styles than others

@welshblue

That is a great solution.
I came up with another but did not have it before you did.

It has a few less steps so here it is:

I use a font called 'Sweet Sorrow' at 170 pts on a 1920 x 1080 canvas and violet as its color.

Next on a duplicate layer I applied the Outline Object plugin pyrochild ( my plugin set ) with settings shown in the attachment

After merging down I used the Wand tool set to Global with a 10% tolerance for making the cyan outline transparent.

The result is a mask that can be overlain upon a texture or gradient.

http://apmauldin.com/Image_Storage/Sweet_Sorrow_3.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

2 hours ago, typiiz said:

Oh THANKS a lot!

You're welcome

@HyReZ ... I suppose this is one of those classic scenarios when more than one method and more than one plugin will do the job.

I use Drop Shadow, because to me it's smoother edged on larger widths than the 2 Outline Objects - plus the added benefit of the offset if needed. 

Your way works just as well

Magic wand v Alpha Mask - that's one of those debates 

I just personally believe that Alpha Mask is cleaner no matter what tolerance the magic wand is set at.  

wand-v-alpha.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

Wow!

Thanks @xod, and welcome to the today's session on freestyle cat skinning. 🙂

@welshblue

I looked at your attachment at 1400% magnification and did see that the Wand Tool does not use anti-aliasing as does Alpha Mask and Drop Shadow plugins.

Drop Shadow does allow for a variety of shadow placement but does not provide for greater shadow widths than the Outline Object plugin.

What has been made clear is that @typiiz has a variety of options!

29 minutes ago, xod said:

the new TextMask plugin.

So it can.  Not like me to miss a text plugin.  Cleanest edges out of all the options  too IMO 

( I found a small glitch on some types of text ... where best to post it  ?) 

17 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

but does not provide for greater shadow widths than the Outline Object plugin.

It doesn't ... but that's where Ctrl + F comes in.  I still stand by,  it's 'cleaner'

pyro-v-kris.png

I like a good debate 😉 

It would be interesting the percentage of people who use Magic Wand as the go to and those who Alpha mask instead.

On straight edges I wand.  Anything curvy I mask

... and as you say, lots of options for the OP

A debate is not necessary. When it is known that the Wand Tool does not incorporate anti-aliasing and you desire anti-aliasing , you use the Alpha Mask that does or apply anti-aliasing later!

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

So it can.  Not like me to miss a text plugin.  Cleanest edges out of all the options  too IMO 

( I found a small glitch on some types of text ... where best to post it  ?) 

It doesn't ... but that's where Ctrl + F comes in.  I still stand by,  it's 'cleaner'

pyro-v-kris.png

A similar result came be obtained with Pyrochild Outline Object if you adjust the Softness control (anti-aliasing).

You are a ware that Drop Shadow appears to be sharper because anti-aliasing is being applied with Blur Radius control being set to a value that is also adjustable from 0?

Edited by HyReZ

24 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

A similar result came be obtained with Pyrochild Outline Object if you set the Softness control (anti-aliasing) to a number lower than the default.

No matter what the setting - and I've used every outline tool copious amounts  over the years ... it just won't be the same quality as Drop Shadow, it's way jaggier at every setting. And that's in no way dissing Pyro's work, it's just how it is on a wide width, but perfectly fine on a small outline

28 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

You are a ware that Drop Shadow appears to be sharper because anti-aliasing is being applied with Blur Radius control being set to a value that is also adjustable from 0?

Not sure how this is applicable ?  It doesn't matter why, just that the result is smoother ... but we're all free to make our choices of what tool suits the job best

@xod 👍

I have used the Drop Shadow plugin on most of my projects for 10 years, and thanks for reminding me of my design privileges.

They can also be found at GitHub
<
Snip>

Just scroll down and right click on the files, save file link, and place the appropriate folder

(Sometimes Windows will not allow a direct save of a .dll file to a programs folder, so you may have to save to some place like the download folder or the desktop and copy and paste it into the appropriate folder)

Edited by toe_head2001
Please don't link to unofficial/third-party downloads