Default save as jpg

I am running Win10 and using Chrome as my browser.  I am not highly skilled at tech.  I use jpg 100% of the time so I always have to select that when I am saving an image as Paint.net has a default for PNG.  It's just a nuisance but if their is some easy way to change the default to jpg pls tell me step-by-step.  Maybe there is some way to eliminate the other extensions.  I have looked in Chrome settings but didn't find a solution.  Many thanks.

Edited by charlesleach

7 minutes ago, charlesleach said:

... if their is some easy way to change the default to jpg ...

Sorry, there is not.

Maybe there is some way to eliminate the other extensions.

Sorry, there is not.

I have looked in Chrome settings but didn't find a solution.

Google Chrome and its settings are completely unrelated to Paint.NET.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Paint.NET will always default to an image format that won’t lose image fidelity. It chooses PDN format for images with layers and PNG for single layer images. This way you don’t lose image quality when saving. 

If you wish to save as JPG (which is lossy) you need to make that choice, every time. That way, when your image degrades over time, it was by your conscious choice—Paint.NET can not be blamed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you. I understand your answer.  I use jpg because the blog I use will only permit me to upload jpg's.  I didn't think Chrome had anything to do with the extensions offered by Paint.net but the posting (on this site) I was reading went into great (and confusing to me) detail about changing something in the Microsoft browser - didn't make sense to me but I'm no techie.  I love Paint.net and will continue to use it but I wish there was a way to default to jpg.  Peace.

In time you'll become familiar with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + S (aka Save As...) ;)

I sort of agree about this - not the default which I would not want be changed but when you're saving as a particular image file type regularly during a session if PDN remembered and used that chosen format as default, until manually changed, throughout the session it would be useful.

I often find myself editing a set pictures for posting on a forum and each time you save one as a JPG or whatever you have to go through the PDN save format menu each time to select what you want. If it just remembered the last save format it would save time if nothing else.

IHaveNoName.png

• 3 years later...
On 2/21/2020 at 7:05 PM, BoltBait said:

when your image degrades over time

This currently appears to be incorrect. Currently, when opening a jpg and saving it as a new .jpg again (with 100% quality setting), without editing anything in the image, each time file-size even increases! 😳

Untitled.jpg.cf6f935e2531b15224cd1acb7f55cc57.jpg

Edited by AMD_Ryzen

2 hours ago, AMD_Ryzen said:

This currently appears to be incorrect. Currently, when opening a jpg and saving it as a new .jpg again (with 100% quality setting), without editing anything in the image, each time file-size even increases! 😳

Untitled.jpg.cf6f935e2531b15224cd1acb7f55cc57.jpg

Why not try this exercise, it will only take a few minutes of your time:

Take a natural photograph save it as file1.jpg and close it.

Open file1.jpg and save it as file2.jpg close all files.

Open file2.jpg and save it as file3.jpg close all files.

:

until you get bored

:

Open the original image

Use the menu "Layers > Import from file" to load your last image as a new layer.

Select the top layer (the one with your final image on it) and press F4

Change the blending mode to "Xor".

Each pixel in the final image that is exactly the same as the original image will show up as black.

Each pixel that is different will show up as a shade of gray noting how far away from the original image the color is. (White is completely different.)

Now, do the same experiment but using PNG file format this time. 

What do you see?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@AMD_Ryzen, you should have read the rules by now so you should know not to respond to super old threads. If you haven't read the rules, then go do so now. Otherwise you are at risk of suspension or banning if you continue doing this.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg