Is this a selection move bug?

I have noticed something I believe might have started with version 4.2.9 where after I move a selection, when I deselect the area the entire image is selected, which often means I accidentally move entire image when I move the mouse, usually because I making another selection. Was it always like this or is it a bug?

Nothing should have changed here, but it can't hurt to investigate.

Can you be specific about which specific physical actions you're performing? For example, "deselect the area" can be performed in several different ways, it's important to know specifically how you're trying to do that.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

47 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

Nothing should have changed here, but it can't hurt to investigate.

Can you be specific about which specific physical actions you're performing? For example, "deselect the area" can be performed in several different ways, it's important to know specifically how you're trying to do that.

I make a selection with any of the selection tools

I press M to move it

I move the selection

I press ESC or ENTER to deselect

The four-pointed Move cursor is still active and the entire document is selected.

I notice while the entire document is selected, I don’t see the “marching ants” indicating it is selected.

This also appears to happen if I rotate the selection with the mouse.

I also think the Finish button has stopped working in this situation.

I’m playing with it some more and I notice documents are opening with Move cursor showing, the entire image selected, but not showing marching ants.

I thought this might be tied into what I had selected for the default tool in the options, so I changed it from rectangle select to the pencil. I notice the default tool only sticks up until I move my first selection. Then the Move tool with the document selected (with no ants) seems to become the default.

6 hours ago, pschroeter said:

The four-pointed Move cursor is still active and the entire document is selected.

Understandable because the Move tool is still active (i.e you haven't selected another tool). So you're deselecting and the Move tool is still doing it's job. When you have no active selection the Move tool is applied to the entire layer.

I notice while the entire document is selected, I don’t see the “marching ants” indicating it is selected.

These will show up again when you either move the layer OR make an active selection.

I also think the Finish button has stopped working in this situation.

Finish = Enter key. It's working as expected in that is commits the changes...but the Move tool is still active (see comment above) ;)