Beyondtheblue

Can't open PDF in new version

Edit by Rick: Renamed title to match the problem instead of the proposed, and wrong, solution ("how to get previous versions"). Also, moved to Troubleshooting section.

I made the mistake of updating to the latest paint.net version.  Now I am no longer able to view or edit pdf files.  Can somebody give me the link to the previous version?  (paint.net 4.2.9).  I'm in the middle of an important project and need to get back to working on it ASAP!

I am extremely disappointed that links to previous versions of the software no longer appear on the website.  Until now, this was my favorite program...  if they are removing functionality AND no longer giving users the choice to use the version that works for them, I am doubly disgusted.

We provide no support for previous versions, however we are happy to help you fix the problem.

PDF support is provided by a plugin and is not native to paint.net. If you give us more information like the error message and crash log we might be able to help.

Wow.  Good to know.  I will never update this program again.

It took quite a bit of time for me to figure out how to get the plugins for viewing and editing pdf files to work in the first place.  It was a huge relief and a major time saver for me when I did.

There or no error messages or crash logs.  Paint.net simply doesn't open pdf files.  They are not viewable in my folders when I try to open a file I was previously working on.  To your program pdf files simply no longer exist.

Thank you!

I also copy the PDN updates to my PDN updates folder on my external drive before installing so that I always have a backup of previous versions. I also backup my Effects, Shapes, and FileTypes folders.

Edited by HyReZ

Hi @Beyondtheblue You can get older versions at File Hippo .......... but, why not stick with the latest version - as it is up-to-date and brand new :) 

You can download the PDF Plugin from here and just read and follow the instructions in the post.  If you have trouble, please post back and we will help you.

You say "they" ... "they" is me. I'm the app developer. There's no "they", just me.

Functionality isn't, and wasn't, removed from the app. There's a misunderstanding here somewhere.

If something breaks, then we can either help you fix it, or I'll try and fix it in the app. Depends on where the problem is.

You should go to Settings -> Plugin Errors and see if there's an error in there for the PDF plugin. If so, copy and paste the contents of the error so I can see it here. If I broke something, I'll fix it. If the plugin is broken, then we'll figure that out too.

But to be "disgusted" and to resolve to never update the app ever again? C'mon, work with me here. Mistakes happen -- either on my part or on your part. Zero-tolerance policies are no good for anyone.

Quite the conundrum!

Win 10 Paint 4.2.10 - No pdf files found

Uninstalled and reinstalled Paint 4.2.8 and PDF files are found with no problem.

I didn't try to open one though :(

I then reinstalled 4.10 and PDF files were found, but on opening received this error message

Application version: paint.net 4.2.10

System.ArgumentException: Size of layer does not match size of containing document
   at OptionBasedFileTypes.OpenFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 522
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Hope this helps to resolve the issue

Note 1  Opened a small PDF from Windows explorer and loaded with no error

Edited by AndrewDavid
added Note 1

What PDF plugin are you using? And what about sample PDFs that cause errors or that can't load?

Basically, give me all the info I need to reproduce any bug that may have popped up

If you are seeing your PDF files in 4.2.10 then there is no problem.

If not, a re-install is required which resolved the issue.

I just loaded a 43 page PDF and it opened perfectly.

image.png.3af88b4329c8d3e7c4302a9883b03521.png

Edited by AndrewDavid
Added version number
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Beyondtheblue said:

Can somebody give me the link to the previous version?  (paint.net 4.2.9).  I'm in the middle of an important project and need to get back to working on it ASAP!

Not really that difficult to find older PDN installers if you Google.

If a place like Filehorse doesn't have it then, as the previous version is only just previous you can be pretty sure many other download web sites will still be offering it. But you download from unofficial sources at your own risk.

Of course you'd need to do a clean install then set everything back up again which makes reverting to 4.2.9 a bit pointless as the advice here seems to be that a reinstall of 4.2.10 fixes whatever the problem might be.

Edited by IHaveNoName

I've been searching for the easiest path to having Paint.net read and write to a PDF file.
The above post references this link but it only supports up to 4.0.5

I'm currently using Paint.net 4.2.10
Can someone point me to the easiest / safest way to install a PDF plugin for the latest Paint.net version?

Edited by PaintP

1 hour ago, PaintP said:

The above post references this link but it only supports up to 4.0.5

That is not accurate. It will work in the newest version of Paint.NET, but the installation is kind of finicky with GhostScript.

I see. O I was referencing an old post and this needs to be updated.

Compatibility

Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.0.5

OK great.. I'll try this out..
Looks like a lot of steps to install though..
A built in plugin manager would be nice..

Edited by PaintP

28 minutes ago, PaintP said:

Then what does it mean when you go to that link and scroll down to this.

Compatibility

Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.0.5

That usually means that the plugin was test in those versions and it worked fine!
(Some very good plugins are no longer updated or tested in the current version but work just fine. Others work fine on smaller canvases but are sluggish on larger images, some lag the app or crash it totally, but no one is updating the features. If it doesn't work, its .dll is easy enough to deleted from the folders)

As for your original question; most of the plugins come with installation instructions and a few have auto-install features.

Various plugins have to be placed in specific folders, but most have instructions to which folder it needs to copied into.
The link provided here explains the plugin procedures for install the classic version of Paint.NET vs the 'Store' version:
(READ CAREFULLY)

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

Edited by HyReZ