T.M.A.

Franklin gothic fonts gone again...???

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but I installed the newest version of paint.net this afternoon and all the FRANKLIN GOTHIC FONTS ARE GONE!!! Only one that's left is Franklin Gothic Medium -No Demi Condensed or Heavy etc... I NEEEED these fonts!! Can anybody tell me how I can get the rest of the Franklin Gothic fonts back in paint.net??

Thank you!!!

These should still exist in Windows>Font folder where your installed fonts reside. Check There!
Try a text editing app the uses TTF and OTF fonts such as MS Word and see they are available to that program.

(I found that this works only for restoring the default screen font back to the original 'Segoe' font family)

Edited by HyReZ

Hmm... Didn't quite work for me -Only have two Franklin Gothic fonts on my Windows. Last paint.net version had like 7 or 8... Hmm... DANGIT!!

That video went by quick.
Type the word: Control Panel in the search box to get to Control Panel app

When you get to the Control Panel click on the Fonts setting icon

53 minutes ago, T.M.A. said:

Not sure if this is the right spot for this

It wasn't. But, I moved it into the troubleshooting forum for you.

6 hours ago, HyReZ said:

That video went by quick.
Type the word: Control Panel in the search box to get to Control Panel app

When you get to the Control Panel click on the Fonts setting icon

Yes, that's what I did. There were several fonts and categories of fonts. Some of them (Arial for example...) had five or so different styles of that same font. The Franklin Gothic section only had two. I have Windows 10...

Is there someplace I could possibly download the rest of the Franklin Gothic fonts and insert them into paint. net, per chance??

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, T.M.A. said:

Is there someplace I could possibly download the rest of the Franklin Gothic fonts and insert them into paint. net, per chance??

Rick has offered some good advice.

BTW:
You don't actually insert fonts into Paint.NET.
Paint.NET uses the fonts that are installed into Windows and reside in the Windows>Fonts folder.
The apps that require scale-able fonts use the fonts that are in that folder.

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HyReZ said:

Rick has offered some good advice.

BTW:
You don't actually insert fonts into Paint.NET.
Paint.NET uses the fonts that are installed into Windows and reside in the Windows>Fonts folder.
The apps that require scale-able fonts use the fonts that are in that folder.

Very cool! GOOD TO KNOW!! Will look into it!

• Like 1

They shouldn't have gone missing after updating PDN surely. If they are still in Windows Fonts there is an issue of some sort.

If they were displaying correctly in the earlier version and went missing from the list after the most recent version update that suggests some change in PDN not a problem with T.M.A's Windows Font sets.

One side-step solution is to go looking for free for personal use ITC OTF (Open Type Fonts) versions of the now missing fonts. They are normally named ITC....... and so will all be listed alphabetically under ITC but if you're desperate it is one crude way of making them available again whatever the problem.   

1 hour ago, IHaveNoName said:

If they were displaying correctly in the earlier version and went missing from the list after the most recent version update that suggests some change in PDN not a problem with T.M.A's Windows Font sets.

The OP has stated that the desired fonts are no longer in the Windows>Fonts folder or somehow the files have been made invisible.

How could  the installation of  Paint.NET remove or hide files in the Windows>Fonts folder?
Now those fonts are no available to any app that uses fonts; not just Paint.NET.
I am not sure about that the whole matter as it is being reported. Some times when an effect occurs after an event, it is
perceived that the event caused the effect.

For instance: if the OP did a clean install of Windows before updating Paint.NET all fonts that are not a part of Windows the clean install will be moved to the Windows.old folder. An clean install of Windows would only contain the two Franklin Gothic font family members that they announced.

It is simple enough to locate the missing font family members. After the font zip is download, you just have to open to the .ttf  or .oft file within, double click to Open and then click Install.

Edited by HyReZ

I took that information about there only being two Franklin Gothic fonts in Windows Fonts list with a degree of skepticism. The OP has admitted "I am super bad at this type of stuff...."

Did T.M.A actually say they'd gone missing in other apps too? Must have missed that but my immediate thought was he had just seen the Franklin Gothic entry in Windows Fonts list and, perhaps, Franklin Gothic Book too and assumed that meant he just had two Franklin Gothic fonts installed. T.M.A, perhaps, did not notice or understand that the two entries under Franklin Gothic are not individual fonts but both font family sets. Remember T.M.A is not familiar with font matters so it's possible.

T.M.A did mentioned seeing several Arial "styles" but not font family sets. Whilst I might be doing T.M.A a disservice in regards to his understanding I thought that could be more evidence he was indeed looking at just those individual font folder names.

On my current PC Arial has seven separate folder entries in Windows Fonts list but three of them: "Arial", "Arial Special G1" and "Arial Special G2" are actually font family sets.

With respect I think the chances of T.M.A having done a new reinstall of Windows just before updating PDN and that being an explanation for the font loss is.....................challenging to imagine. I may be wrong but which is the more likely: a PDN update font display issue or a whole set of previous working fonts suddenly totally disappearing from a PC for reasons unknown?

1883591947_FranklinGothicFontSet.png.69ff392ab90b2aa63d03dfb6892c431d.png 

Edited by IHaveNoName
typo

My speculation is only a logical option among many.
What I do know is that on a clean Windows install there are only two of the Franklin Gothic font family members that are a part of that install

(Franklin Gothic Medium & Franklin Gothic Medium Italic).

I will leave it at that since it is relatively simple to reinstall the missing Franklin Gothic fonts.

One more thing,

Here is a Microsoft link on what font files are part of a Windows 10 clean install:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/fonts/windows_10_font_list

T.M.A.s other font files came from somewhere else and may exist on other app install disc.
It is a good idea to copy/save the Windows>Fonts folder to a thumb drive or external drive as a backup!

New Information:
I just found that some apps, such as Adobe products, do not store its fonts in the Windows>Fonts folder.
Update versions of Windows 10 have an 'Untrusted Font Blocking' feature, you can turn it off if this is the source of the issue.
You can also just find where these apps have stored its fonts and copy them into the Windows>Fonts folder.
Do a drive search for ttf and the otf fonts and copy/paste all that exist outside of the Windows>Fonts and put them in!

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1

Hey! Just so ya'll know I just installed the new version of PDN and still no fonts -No Garamond and FG font family, which used to be there. This is the third time this has happened when installing latest version of PDN...

I'm gonna go look for these fonts in ITC OTF as IHaveNoName suggested and will report back...

-T.M.A.

Before you rush to engage in an Internet font search, I recommend that you do a font search on your computer to see where those unrecognized fonts actually reside. I doubt that they have been removed. When you find them, I advise that you 'copy' them into the official Windows fonts folder and then back that folder up as I recommended earlier in this thread.

Edited by HyReZ

12 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

Before you rush to engage in an Internet font search, I recommend that you do a font search on your computer to see where those unrecognized fonts actually reside. I doubt that they have been removed. When you find them, I advise that you 'copy' them into the official Windows fonts folder and then back that folder up as I recommended earlier in this thread.

Yes, the thing is NONE OF THESE FONTS are currently in my computer... They may have gone when Windows 10 did one of it's automatic updates??? Either way, I need them and they are not on my computer AT ALL currently...

11 minutes ago, T.M.A. said:

Yes, the thing is NONE OF THESE FONTS are currently in my computer...

So this is hardly a paint.net issue is it? Paint.net doesn't install, or uninstall fonts. Period.

<closed>