Using albedo and opacity (PBR textures) to make an alpha masked texture

frankz

So, I have a PBR texture set (albedo, norm, roughness, opacity etc.). This is part of a Atlas so the albedo definately can not be made to "magic brush" out to make an alpha background.

My friend who has Photoshop asked me to send them just the albedo and the opacity maps and two minutes later sent me an alpha background.

The albedo and opacity

1427197224_ti2rehaia_2K_Albedosmall.png.ada83b2b82cc772772474a1cc883181a.png998752933_ti2rehaia_2K_Opacitysmall.png.f030ed4caf411ee5120ec22ef59dcdc5.png

How do I use paint.net to do the same, preferably via a video (prettty please).

ti2rehaia_2K_Opacity small.png

ti2rehaia_2K_Opacity small.png

Hello @frankz Well I have to admit I don't anything about Albedo :(

However, you get a similar effect by using TR's Intensity Warp Plugin.

I got this effect after downloading your (very small) leaves  (or feathers?)

Lettuce.png

And this is how I did it:

TR-s-Intensity-Warp.png

If you don't know how to install addition Plugins please read this.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey,

Albedo is = to a colour map in PBR terms - Physically based rendering google it lots of info out there, included in PBR are albedo, normal, roughness, metalness, opacity etc. etc, these are then combined to make the final high detail image. Sorry the images supplied were very small, I was limited to a very small size by paint.net interface here, my originals are 2kx2k. They are leaves. Thanks for trying but no way is the intensity plug in suitable, below is what was made for me using photoshop

119118566_ti2rehaia_2K_AlbedoAsmall.png.f9b06ae750eced3effb2a3f29d0bf67d.png

Your images are really very small and it's not easy to see what you are aiming for.  We use free sites to store our images, then copy the URL's and paste them into a thread.  Most of us use:  https://imgur.com/   and  https://postimages.org/

Hopefully some on here will know how to help you with your request :)

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Physically Based Rendering (PBR) and the creation of PBR maps can probably by done in Paint.NET with use of a few plugin, but I don't know how!

If your goal is to produce PBR maps without the  cost of renting Photoshop, here are links to a video and free app that may help you.

https://youtu.be/hHH178pgS1w
http://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

Edited by HyReZ

Remember I have been using the very small images you posted, so the clarity will be different, if you are using the higher resolution images.

I obviously have an older version of Paste Alpha, but it should not make any difference.  How big are the images you are using it on?

I'm off to bed now, so will take this up in the morning, unless someone else comes on the assist you :)

30b8T8B.gif

It is just to slow for my image size 2kx2k - about 713KB the render takes a looooong time, so long I canceled it.

This is what my friend did in PS (I have never used it)

just load the Albedo in PS, then add a mask, then Alt-Click the Mask layer (screen should be white),
open opacity and copy the whole image, then paste into the mask.

Took about 1 min

49 minutes ago, frankz said:

It is just to slow for my image size 2kx2k - about 713KB the render takes a looooong time, so long I canceled it.

That's not even a large image. Something else must be going on there.

I just used Paste Alpha on a 5,000x5,000 image, and it took no more than 4 seconds.  That was on a computer with a ~7 year old processor; it should be even faster on a modern processor.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

10 minutes ago, frankz said:

Getting nowhere with this, I must be doing something wrong

I thought you already did it. You posted your result here: #comment-567150

So what's the issue?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

That was done by a friend who has photoshop. I need to know how exactly how I  can use Bolt's paste alpha plugin to get the same. If possible showing step by step guides on which image goes where on the layers (yes, I am a bit dumb on layers) what needs to copied to the clipboard etc. Atm I am still getting his plugin taking forever to initialise then render - always canceled it.

I have yet to see any documentation on how to use the plugin.

Edited by frankz

2 hours ago, frankz said:

Getting nowhere with this, I must be doing something wrong so here are the full sized images.

ti2rehaia-2-K-Albedo.png

ti2rehaia-2-K-Opacity.png

Here you go.  I think you were actually confusing yourself.  Only plug-in used in the video was Alpha Mask.   I do apologize for the rude pop up by Parallel's software.

Not quit there yet "all color will be ignored" it says. The blue is being ignored. These are blue lupins.

So how do I get the following

tjlnfikia-2-K-Albedo.png

tjlnfikia-2-K-Opacity.png

Edited by frankz

9 minutes ago, frankz said:

Not quit there yet "all color will be ignored" it says.

That statement applies to the mask image; the black and white one.

Are trying to use the color image as the mask?

bp-sig.png