[Help] random quads generator? (non-uniform grid?)

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to create random quads, so that it will look something like that:

image.thumb.png.383d4e4428b4a9d2919021e749074b91.png

I'm looking for a generator though since

(1) I want to create it on a somewhat big resolution (1024x1024)

(2) I want the squares to be smaller than the picture

(3) I want the lines to align together and be straight

Any ideas how can on create such a texture, hopefully not manually?

I have attempted to search a solution and tried coding it, I do find this problem to be difficult because no one has coded up a random texture generator with squares and rectangles connecting to each other. For reference, here's my current g'mic code.

repeat $! l[$>]
new_dimension_w={ceil(w/50)*50+1}
new_dimension_h={ceil(h/50)*50+1}

r $new_dimension_w,$new_dimension_h,100%,1

f. "begin(qmd=50;);
xor(x%qmd?0:1,y%qmd?0:1);
"

label_fg 0,0

f. "begin(T=vectoriM(0);
for(v=1,v<iM-1,v++,
T[v]=round(u(0,1));
);
);
if(i,T[i]);;
"

f. "
A=i(x-2,y)+i(x+2,y)+i(x,y+2)+i(x,y-2)>=2?1:0;
B=i(x-1,y)+i(x+1,y)+i(x,y+1)+i(x,y-1)>=2?1:0;
A+B==2?1:i;
"
endl done

r is resize ; I resized it into 1 channel with the nearest number to the multiples of a variable number.

f is fill vector from left to right and top to bottom

label_fg basically finds the shape and fill them

50 is a variable.

First fill generates a grid. Second fill finds the lines and removes some of them. Third fill fills the missing dots. The problem now is to get it into square and rectangle form.

Another solution I can think of in theory is to use multiple fills, and using a master fill to determine the end fill. I'm not sure how to explain that.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

I posted this reply yesterday - but it didn't appear.  *shrugs*

Random quads:

1. On a transparent layer render a Random Maze 1 from this plugin pack: MadJik's Plugins

2. Add a new layer and run the plugin again.

3. Flip the last layer for different combinations.

randomquads.png

It's not perfect - but it should give you a great starting point.

• Upvote 1

Eli - they are used as a texture so there isn't much "purpose". Just something I want to create I guess

Reptillian - what's g'mic? what is that code? how are they related? anywhere I can read about the 2?

Red Ochre - Really cool plugin! The quads either align too well (which is a simple grid) or not, but I'm not strict about it so I'll play with it - might like the result. Thanks!

Ego Eram Reputo - Awesome! I loved how you took the plugin and combined the layers together. Really cool trick!

4 hours ago, Creed31 said:

Reptillian - what's g'mic? what is that code? how are they related? anywhere I can read about the 2?

G'MIC is a plugin for Paint.NET, and it is a image processing library. Those are the WIP codes to attempt to solve the problem of creating only rectangle and squares with random layout. It is a very interesting problem because no one else has solved it. The attempt to solve it has been split into a different thread in plugin development.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

@Creed31, you could also try Fibonacci Fill plugin.  I realize it will not generate random rectangles you want, but if you think outside the box for a bit, you could use magic wand to select a rectangle generated by the Fibonacci Fill plugin, copy it, and paste it on a transparent layer.  It would be worth exploring.

I have something here @Creed31 .

Is this something you want?

Colored version (with predefined palette)

tiacrGR.png

Black and White version

V5JJNPt.png

Using Image to define the color

Xhil1K1.png

These are made with the recent filters I have made using the G'MIC QT scripting language. If you want it, I'll let you know when they're pushed to G'MIC-QT.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer