Is there a way to cancel an operation started by a plugin on an unsaved image?

Hi guys, 

I've just been editing an image for about 45 minutes and it's almost finished however I used the 'Content Aware Fill' plugin (made by Nicholas Hayes / null54 I think) and the little window has just been stuck on the "finishing" message for like 10 minutes now (and Paint.NET is completely unresponsive). Because I am in fact an idiot, I have not saved this edit at all so if I close Paint.NET I'll lose it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to somehow cancel the current operation that the plugin is carrying out right now without closing Paint.NET so that I can save my picture or perhaps if there's a temporary folder somewhere on my computer that contains the currently active session and photo? I have tried going into my clipboard but unfortunately I haven't copied the whole image at all since I started editing it. 

I've just had a look online however all the topics I've found refer to saving a photo after the program has already crashed. Since Paint.NET is still open right now and is just in this infinite finishing loop it does seem possible there still might be a way for me to salvage this picture! I'll keep it open in the background for as long as possible so even if you reply a few hours after I'm posting this hopefully I'll still have it open. I'm using the Windows Store version of the program on 4.2.8

Thanks for reading!

Hi @Zasta If I recall when this situation happens and the Plugin is left 'hanging' I think you have to close down the whole of PDN.  If you still have the Plugin open, can you not see an X in the upper right hand corner?  If so, try clicking on that.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi Pixey. Sorry for the late reply! The very first thing I tried was closing the window with the corner button and that did nothing as Paint.NET itself seems pretty unresponsive. And as stated above, I can't close Paint.NET down otherwise I'll lose all the work I've done since I never saved it. The plugin has somehow rendered PDN completely immobile I think. I'll keep it open until tomorrow and let you all know if there's any changes. 

image.png.2c2d2d22473a1cb8102e89f356174d42.png

If your plugin still has not 'Finished' by then, check to see if something else is competing via the 'Task Manager'
Also if there is some background 'Windows Update' that has stalled, it may cause you app to stall too. So check you Settings for stalled updates.

Edited by HyReZ

@Zasta I'm afraid that what you are experiencing, has been something that we all have been through.  When a Plugin is stuck, and you have not saved your work, you have no option other than to close the program.  I recall doing this many, many times and often, lost hours of work.  One needs to get into the habit of Saving one's work every five minutes or so.  I do feel bad for you 😰 it really hurts to lose work.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.