Normal text functuionality for bold and other options

is there a plugin that applies bold/cursive/etc to the selected text or letters or words (or the next to being inserted text, like select the bold option - insert a word, which is now bold, deselect bold option - the word stays bold the rest of the text also remembers its own filters) rather than applying it to the whole text

The Text tool applies the decoration to all characters entered at the time. If you want to apply decoration to a single word it will have to be entered separately to the rest of the text.

I can't recall a plugin which will do what you want either. Perhaps Editable Text? It shows bold, italic, underline options in the UI toolbar, but I don't recall if these effects can be applied to individual words.

Paint.NET is a graphics editor. What you’re looking for is a word processor. Have you tried Microsoft Word?  It does what you’re looking for.  

Once you have what you want in Word, press the PrtSc button and go into Paint.NET and paste into a new document. Then you can manipulate it like a graphic. 

MS Paint has this type of text formatting and it does come very useful when adding text to an image and wanting to highlight parts of it. I'd rather input formatted directly, and in a transparent layer, than print-screen it. Also most word processors have ugly ugly cleartype.

1 hour ago, BoltBait said:

Once you have what you want in Word, press the PrtSc button and go into Paint.NET and paste into a new document.

If you use PrtSc to create an image from within MS Word, you will get the background also when you paste.
A better option is to highlight the text in MS Word and then use Copy to capture a text image and then paste it onto a new transparent layer of Paint.NET.

Why the the extra step if you would just highlight the existing text in MS Word, copy it, then paste it into a transparent layer in Paint.NET?
Your extra step would be necessary if you were copying the text from MS Paint or Wordpad.

Edited by HyReZ

If you'll notice, all of my text was normal except for one bold word at the end. You can't do that with Paint.NET by itself.  The point I was making is that you can do any type of formatting you want... which is what the OP was asking for.

I understand that. This is why using MS Word was suggested in this thread by you. It can be done in MS Word, then highlighted, copied as rasterized text with a transparent background, and pasted into Paint.NET as such.

My steps:

After I create the text, I hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor across to highlight the text.

I then make my copy and goto Paint.NET to paste it.
Soft_and_Artsy.jpg

It can also be done in  MS Wordpad and MS Paint, but when cut and pasted from those apps into Paint.NET the rasterized text is copied, but the white background comes along for the ride.

Edited by HyReZ
inserting additional information