Suggestions to Invert Visual Perspective

I am working on some research into a specific variety of the 1950 Franklin Half Dollar.  Without boring you with unnecessary details, I am creating a GIF that illustrates a controversial theory about the origin of this variety. To accurately illustrate the theory, I need to reverse the visual perspective of an object. The image of the object is in relief, above the flat horizontal plain. I need to reverse the perspective so that the image of the object appears to be incused, below the flat horizontal plain.  I have tried manipulating several plugins and effects. Color inversion, variable distortion, or highlight/shadow manipulation have only yielded marginal results. My attempts have not captured a true swap of perspective inversion. I have searched the Forum and tried many excellent techniques but none quite replicates the effect I need.  My theory is diametrically opposed to several competent experts in the field of coin variety attribution. If I am unable to illustrate the “negative” perspective, this visual artistic flaw can potentially be used as a false premise for my research.

Any suggestion on how to achieve the inverse perspective would be welcomed.

Below is the image that I am working on. I have also included a link to a GIF that may help in understanding the concept. Please excuse the sophomoric attempt of the GIF. I am still in the learning phase of creating an animated image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DtFHYNDEYG3Mbr5EXA8QYZpZV0lJqO8X/view?usp

Perspective_inversion.jpg.b1c270cb41253f598197123fcf684a53.jpg

Thanks,

anntron

16 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Hello @Anntron :)  Have you seen what this Plugin can do?

Hi Pixey,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have "tried" TR's plugins but based on your recommendation, I will revisit them and learn how to use them more efficiently. When I first experimented with them, I was looking for a "quick fix". However, I have seen some of your amazing images on this board and know there is no such thing.  Thanks for pointing me in a direction, that is really what I need.

• Like 1

Thank you for those kind words @Anntron :)

I hope you can find what you want to do using TR's Plugin.  If you have an 'after' image of the incused letter, then this is for you.  However, if you are trying to make the actual Incused letter using Paint.net, then it's going to be a bit more difficult :(

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

6 hours ago, Anntron said:

I am working on some research into a specific variety of the 1950 Franklin Half Dollar.  Without boring you with unnecessary details, I am creating a GIF that illustrates a controversial theory about the origin of this variety. To accurately illustrate the theory, I need to reverse the visual perspective of an object.

The one thing I can say is that it's lighting, not spacial. That's even more true with an irregular object like the example. Perspective cues don't determine whether it looks indented or raised.

Light is generally assumed to come from above the object. To see what I mean, take welshblue's (excellently done) example, copy it into PDN, and rotate it 180 degrees. The inside of the S will now appear to be raised instead of incised.

• Like 1

@Pixey

Thank you so much for the follow-up and the great suggestion “yellowman created a topic in Text Effects”.

@welshblue

Thank you for the link to “david.atwell created a topic in Distortions and Modifications”.

I also thank you for taking the time to create and upload the “S”. It is light-years ahead of any of my efforts thus far but now I know there is hope.

@MJW

I did as you suggested and the results were astounding.  The visual perspective “flipped” when I rotated the “S” image. I had almost dismissed light direction as a key element when my attempt at inversion failed to alter perspective.  Now I see that inversion was not the problem and that lighting is the key.  As you may have guessed, I am not an artist but I am learning.

Thank you all for your suggestions and expertise.  I now see that it may be possible (with some work play) to create exactly what I need by aggregating your suggestions, references, and two new effects (to me) needed in the 3D Engraved Text tutorial.  I need to process all this data and implement your ideas. If I reach my goal, I will post the results. Kinda exciting, thanks.

Just one more question:

Can you tell me how to get some free time……🙃