Disciple of Bears

What's with the sign up 'security check question'?

Wondering if Rick has any control over the sign-up questions, but they're fairly bogus. Example:

image.png.01e6f8eca5bac756b904087e409149a4.png

First of all, a serious answer would be 'spammer'. So I was wrong on first try.
'dog' was wrong on the second try.
'a spammer' was wrong on the third try.
...and I finally got it with 'a dog'. I doubt many new users would run that gauntlet 4 times; the site is probably barring a lot of new users, and I don't mean spammers.

These questions are just bad, plain and simple. The answer is logically wrong, frustratingly exact ("a dog" not just "dog") and worse yet, it's static. As in, it appeared first every time I tried to sign up. I don't know how many questions there are, but it doesn't seem good. Failing this question always brought up a question asking the difference between 3:15 PM and 8 PM in hours, which didn't accept "4" or "4.25", maybe it wanted "4 hours" or "4.25 hours" or "4 hours and a quarter", who knows. Either way, awful questions.

Thanks for reading this! I do hope the questions can be replaced to be guessable to humans, or removed.

1 hour ago, Disciple of Bears said:

First of all, a serious answer would be 'spammer'.

You are wrong.

1 hour ago, Disciple of Bears said:

'dog' was wrong on the second try.
...and I finally got it with 'a dog'.

Both answers are acceptable (according to the setup).

Eventually, the questions will be changed. But, we're all too lazy to change them. So, don't hold your breath.

Both answers are acceptable (according to the setup).

Correct, I just repeated that test; this time it worked. It's probable I just entered a typo or something silly.
Perhaps reading in a bit, but the way you mention "according to the setup" makes me think these questions can be adjusted. I would advocate switching questions; I'd be more than happy to create some questions for you that should catch bots and not people.

You are wrong.

I'll avoid the philosophy. Bottom line I think this test will catch humans too, it certainly caught me and I am human :)

The answer makes more sense if you think in the context of when it was written ... which, IIRC, was after a very heavy spam bot attack on the forum :)