Manually Reseed Effects?

freestew

I'm hoping there is a way to manually reseed effects in paint.net, main reason for this is that I want to abuse certain effects for an animation so I need the effects to "slowly" morph and change.

Sorry if this question is probably stupid

If a plugin has a reseed button, it works like this:

1. The first time you run the effect it starts the counter at zero. 
2.  Each time you press that button it increments that counter by one. 
3.  That counter cycles back to zero after the button is pressed 255 times. 

The counter is used to initialize the random number instance before each render begins. 

That’s it. 

And, before you ask, no, there is no way to tell what the current value of the counter is—you just have to keep track of how many times you press the reseed button. 

• Like 1

DavidF's 'Curly Lines' render effect has a seed input for repeatable randomness. There may be others too?
However I doubt if this would help for slowly morphing an effect for animation, as tiny differences in the seed should produce very different results.

TechnoRobbo's 'keyframe' and 'Morpher' might be useful for you?

Curly lines

Keyframe

Morpher

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I was having thanksgiving so apologies for lateness.

4 hours ago, welshblue said:

There's a few in the Render menu ... but none that you can control the reseed of.  (that I know of)

@freestew  what plugins do you mean, it may help someone to give a more positive reply to your needs.

Won't adjusting the sliders slightly for each layer achieve the right result ?

The one specially I'm hoping for is the Dent effect, Like the main dents slowly moving around, making a cool ghost effect or something

4 hours ago, BoltBait said:

If a plugin has a reseed button, it works like this:

1. The first time you run the effect it starts the counter at zero. 
2.  Each time you press that button it increments that counter by one. 
3.  That counter cycles back to zero after the button is pressed 255 times.

Well that's interesting to learn

1 hour ago, Red ochre said:

DavidF's 'Curly Lines' render effect has a seed input for repeatable randomness. There may be others too?
However I doubt if this would help for slowly morphing an effect for animation, as tiny differences in the seed should produce very different results.

And that's a shame, I knew something like that would be the case but I was hoping for otherwise

Edited by freestew

• 4 years later...

So I know this is a very old topic but I've encountered the same desire for the same reason as this post. It would be nice to have some control over the reseed for animation purposes. I'm necroing here because the solution presented above that there are only 255 possible seeds does not seem to be the case anymore.

I applied an effect, set it on another layer under a copy of the original, then got the editor open for the effect again and mashed reseed, keeping count on a calculator. The effect never matched as I passed over 255 reseeds. I tried a few methods a few times.

Is there any potential for this extremely niche function to be accomplished? Can codelab be used at all?

8 minutes ago, ATMLVE said:

I'm necroing here

Please don't.

Before posting again, read the Forum Rules. They are mandatory.

11) Don't reply to very old threads. Also known as "reviving" or "resusitating" old/dead threads. Also called "necroposting" (eww). If there has been no discussion in a thread for, say, 3 months ... then it is dead. Do not reply to it -- pretend like it is locked. If you reply to it, then the thread will be immediately locked and your post may be deleted. Please just create a new thread if you have something to say about that subject.

• Tactilis locked this topic