How can I personalize plug-ins?

Hi, I'm a graphic designer and my program of choice is Paint.NET. I use it for several hours every day, and after evaluating ways of increasing my productivity, I concluded that plugin personalization would be a great way to achieve that.

I want to know how to change the icon and category of plug-ins I've downloaded from this forum, because when you have 30+ plugins it's hard to remember where everything is located, especially when some have bad icons or don't have icons at all.

Additionally, I'd like to know how I can edit plugins to make the gui simpler and personalized to my needs, as well as customize their default values.

Thanks in advance.

Unless they're open-sourced, you don't. If they're not open-sourced, then you need to get permission to reverse engineer those plugins, and then make your changes. Plus, you need a lot of programming knowledge.

GUI programming is actually the hardest part of making plugins. The rest is more understanding mathematics, and applying data types, along with using void function. For loop is the basis for many plugins here.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

You can't change the icon or menu placement as these are hard-coded by the plugin author.

The Plugin Browser may be of interest to you as it acts like a plugin manager. With it you can bookmark your favorite plugins and easily locate the ones you've misplaced. There is a link in my signature.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2019 at 9:01 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

You can't change the icon or menu placement as these are hard-coded by the plugin author.

The Plugin Browser may be of interest to you as it acts like a plugin manager. With it you can bookmark your favorite plugins and easily locate the ones you've misplaced. There is a link in my signature.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:26 PM, ReMake said:

In my opinion Plugin Browser is the effective solution to the problem with a minimum of effort.

To be honest I was hoping for a solution closer to what I asked for, but I guess Plugin Browser will have to do for now. Is there any chance that these features will be implemented in a future update?

At the moment, the plugin author sets the menu and icon when the DLL is compiled. That's what I meant when I said these are "hard coded". If the plugin source code has been made available it is possible to recompile the plugin to change (i.e. personalize) these parameters.