Is there a way to make TIFF the default save format?

I am editing hundreds of photos, having to convert them to TIFF. It would be handy if TIFF was the default format to save to )other times I need .dds format to save to) Is there a way for users to get paint.net to change the default save type? I saw someone else ask for this (but asked for JEPG) and was rejected on the basis that JPEG loses quality. As this wouldn't be the case for TIFF and other lossless formats is there a way to go about this?

Edited by Mr.Curious

1 hour ago, Mr.Curious said:

well it looks like there is no option to convert to .dds using infranview

You could use the DirectXTex texconv utility, it is a command line tool for converting to/from the DDS formats.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

It certainly would be useful if PDN remembered the last save format. It is a bit of faff scrolling back down to Optimized PNG every time when you've been saving or trialing work in progress in that format.

I'd also argue for alphabetical listing of all formats although it would make sense to keep .pdn, .jpg and .png at the top of the list as most users most commonly used image formats.

IHaveNoName.png

2 hours ago, Mr.Curious said:

well it looks like there is no option to convert to .dds using infranview.

Just read HyReZ's post ^ and can confirm that but there is no DDS conversion tool. IRFV will open them (with a plugin) and save them in other formats but that's it. A bit pointless IMHO when you have PDN which can do that and convert too.

I have bought up the matter in relation to batch file conversions with IRFV as well (the thing the OP here wants) and accidentally re-found a thread I'd actually contributed too at its forum about that very matter. I needed a JPG > DDS batch conversion tool for intermediate conversion purposes to be able to use an even more obscure icon image format (XBX) converter tool that only works with DDS originals and does not do batch conversions either.

So after I had created them I actually had to re-save as DDS every one of the 200+ PNG icons, created with PDN, that I wanted to convert. That  slowed down the whole save process. 

There is definitely a need for batch conversion to less common formats like DDS.

IHaveNoName.png

1 hour ago, HyReZ said:

The short answer is no. It currently can't be done and probably will not be implemented in future versions.

Too bad. Its little features like this that make a big difference. Something like this would not be hard to implement. In any case, thanks for the replies. 

3 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Please don’t presume...

The source code is over half a million lines and VERY complex.

Please don't presume what? I understand how difficult maintaining vast swaths of code can be, but come on, you think implementing a save preset is hard? lol. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Curious said:

Is there a way for users to get paint.net to change the default save type?

3 hours ago, HyReZ said:

The short answer is no. It currently can't be done and probably will not be implemented in future versions.

^^ You have your answer.

4 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

Just read HyReZ's post ^ and can confirm that but there is no DDS conversion tool. IRFV will open them (with a plugin) and save them in other formats but that's it. A bit pointless IMHO when you have PDN which can do that and convert too.

Paint.NET does not perform batch conversion.

^ If you read what I posted I did not say PDN did batch conversions. I meant PDN will open DDS like IRFV but, unlike IRFV, PDN can save them as DDS and convert to DDS from other image formats as well. In other words PDN is the far more useful tool for handling DDS.

No batch conversion facility for either program was mentioned as, indeed, neither currently has that option.

IHaveNoName.png

17 hours ago, Reptillian said:

Use a batch converter.

14 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

There is definitely a need for batch conversion to less common formats like DDS.

I am aware of what has been written here! Are you?

Edited by HyReZ

As I'd explained in the previous paragraph I wrote that because, like Mr.Curious, I could have used such a tool for the purpose described and consequently understood the desire for a PDN or failing that a IRFV batch converter tool which could handle less commonly used formats like DDS.

I needed a JPG > DDS batch conversion tool for intermediate conversion purposes to be able to use an even more obscure icon image format (XBX) converter tool that only works with DDS originals and does not do batch conversions either.

As I thought was clear the previous comments were just about the differences between IRFV, PDN in relation to its DDS options and the superiority of PDN in that respect. Neither does batch conversions of DDS so I'm not sure how there could be any confusion about what I meant.

Of course there are a number of batch conversion tools which do handle DDS which are easy enough to find but this is a PDN forum and about what it can do, can not do and what features, like batch conversion, it might be useful for it to support in the future. 

IHaveNoName.png

On 10/22/2019 at 7:55 PM, Mr.Curious said:

... you think implementing a save preset is hard? lol. 

I don't think anyone said it was difficult or easy; that's the vocabulary that you chose, not us. Difficulty of implementation isn't the issue, but is always conflated when this type of request is made. It's not difficult to request this idea, or to imagine it working correctly. What is difficult is designing functionality like this such that it works well for everyone, and isn't just something that works great for 1 person but not so well for millions of others (btw this is the problem with so much software out there: rampant accrual of tiny unharmonious features). Also, I haven't been avoiding this because I think it's difficult on any particular axis. I have intentionally decided to not do this for reasons outlined in older discussions going back as far as maybe 15 years ago: I believe it's the wrong design, and that it's a bad design. You can search for the details, I'm not going to repeat what I've said so many times before. tl;dr not going to happen, and that's that. Some people think I'm being a stubborn jerk on this, but some people think that of anyone who disagrees with them and/or who won't give them what they won't, so whatever.

P.S. I don't think you are being a jerk. You're just asking for something you thought would be useful.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg