Does Paint.net have anything like the "Inflate Tool" from Adobe Photoshop?

Hey folks newbie Pokejedservo here I have a question that I just thought I ask. I have noticed that on Paint.Net I can use a character portrait png pic and use the rotate tool in layers so I can change Z-Axis on the portrait. Therefore turning it and make the portrait look like the character is facing to the right (or left) but since the portrait is 2D its flat. I did hear about this nifty little feature on Photoshop at...

https://youtu.be/kqAi5mNa2gM

I have tried stretching the portait after I turned its Z-Axis to the right but it has a tendency to make the character portrait appear rather blurry (and often enough not by a lot of stretching). And I also did try to use the "Bulge" feature in effects but I really wasn't sure how I would get that to work. Does Paint.net have any sort of feature like this (or at least by plugin) or no? If not then do you folks have any idea if there is any free Photo Editor program that does have that feature? Just thought I ask...

1 hour ago, Pokejedservo said:

Does Paint.net have anything like the "Inflate Tool" from Adobe Photoshop?

No.

Although, you could try the Effects > Selection (or Object) > Bevel Selection (or Object) plugin in my plugin pack.

Hi @Pokejedservo and Welcome :)

Great 'tip' @dipstick I wish we had more tutorials on that Plugin.  I'm getting too old to learn new tricks 🙀

2-tweeties.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Well I did try Bevel in that plugin pack but it didn't really work with me all that well for me. Say where is the plugin pack that has "Illuminate 2D" in it?

I guess I should be a little bit more specific is that I have made character 2D models from this site in the past...

http://pochi.eek.jp/m_kisekae.html

(Note: The site is mostly in Japanese but this is the SFW version just to be safe so don't worry.)

Anyways I have been using this site for some time which has plenty of options for customization and poses and such. But the only issue is that you can't have characters turn left or right. (Sure the eyes can change direction but the torso is forward position only.) I can take pictures of these models and have clear background png pics in which I can turn the characters left-right on the Z-Axis in the "Rotate Layer" option.  But since these character model pics are 2D so therefore flat I'm trying to figure out a way how to stretch them with out them becoming overly blurry. So in other words to make a long story short I'm trying to take 2D characters and turn them to the side without making them flat or blurry.

Note: On  a different note is it possible to say for example I work on a picture collage and make it so that the layers can't be outside the canvas or overlap with one another? Just thought I ask if its remotely possible on paint.net.

@Pokejedservo you can find the Plugin that incorporates "Illuminate 2D" here:

You can turn things sideways with the Plugin called Shape3D:

There is a tutorial for making a collage:

Or, you can just bring each image into a new layer and re-size as necessary :)

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

16 minutes ago, Pokejedservo said:

But since these character model pics are 2D so therefore flat I'm trying to figure out a way how to stretch them with out them becoming overly blurry. So in other words to make a long story short I'm trying to take 2D characters and turn them to the side without making them flat or blurry.

If you really need to have crystal sharp picture when resizing up, you can't because of how the pixels are constructed.  If the original picture are bigger, you can scale down without losing the sharpness of the picture.  I don't know how Photoshop is able to resize up without losing pixels, but it is not possible in Paint.NET.  

Well I have downloaded the G'Mic and Shape 3D plugins, fairly liking the latter so far but I'm still learning how to use it. (But to be fair it is easier for me to learn than actual 3D programs like Blender and the like which is why I'm looking for things like this.) But as for G'Mic I'm still trying to figure out where exactly is the "Illuminate" function?

Oh yes and as for Collages I do fairly know how to make one (been making them for a few years in programs like Pixlr and NCH PhotoPad.) But all I'm asking is if there is a way to get the pictures/layers to stay in the canvas and/or make it so that images/layers can't overlap each-other. Is that possible?

11 hours ago, Elvis Hbpbgrtnk said:

I thinking I found settings but when I upload here it darker than what I save.

Why that?

It's darker because you used the Plugin Illuminate, which does that :)

30b8T8B.gif

6 minutes ago, Pokejedservo said:

Light and Shadows? Uh I still don't see it...

@Pokejedservo It's in the Q'mic Plugin which is under Advanced dropdown:

illuminate.png     ~clicky~

30b8T8B.gif

Please go to your Effects Folder and see if G'mic is there:

Effects-Folder.png

Instructions:

Spoiler

1. Close Paint.NET.

2. Place Gmic.dll and the gmic folder in the Paint.NET Effects folder which is usually located in one the following locations depending on the Paint.NET version you have installed.

Classic: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects

3. Restart Paint.NET.4. The plug-in will now be available as the G'MIC-Qt menu item in the Advanced category of the Paint.NET Effects menu.

30b8T8B.gif

Yes, sometimes our eyes get what is called - lazy eye.  This means that when you are staring at an image for a while you get a 'distorted' picture in your brain.  Then, when you close it and look at it again, it doesn't look the same.  It happens quite frequently to us on here.

One other point to make is, that if you have a few layers in the image you are working on, and have changed one of the Mode settings, to say Multiply, or whatever, if you 'flatten' your layers some of the modes will not be compatible and the end product will be different.

30b8T8B.gif

I did have 2 layers. One normal then other multiply. When makings images 3d before with bevel and height map I always making duplicate layers, bottom normal, top effects, after effects top layer either multiply or addative, then top layer opacity down, merge.

EDIT: On Brian picture same thing. Bottom layer normal, top layer bevel and 2d illumination. Then multiply, opacity down, merge. After that brightness up little and contrast down little.

What it look like is brightness contrast change not working. That look like the differents.

Edited by Elvis Hbpbgrtnk
More stuff.