feathering a selection

How do I feather a selection? I want to select part of an image which may need levels adjustment, but I want to be able to blend the change into the rest of the image as you can do in Photoshop. Thanks in advance for any solutions.

I am using Paint.Net to teach children about image manipulation in my school. If anyone has any advice / resources on what I could / should include when teaching with Paint.Net I would be very happy to look at them; thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions . .

I have downloaded Boltbaits plugins, and tried to follow this advice in the posting. However under my effects menu I can only find Artistic, Distort, Blurs, Noise, Photo, Render and Stylise. I cannot find Effects - Object - Feather ??

Sorry guys to repeat my request. I have downloaded v3.36 and Boltbaits plug in (saved to Programs, Paint.NET, Effects and extracted: do I have to do anything else?).

I have opened the program and I cannot see Feathering. I do not have it on my Effects menu, and I do not have a selections menu.

I am really struggling; any help much appreciated.

Thanks

I cannot see any reference to feathering in the help section either

Where did you extract it to? Is the DLL in your effects folder, or only the ZIP?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I have just worked it out and it was as David suggested; I had extracted all of the dlls into a folder inside the Effects folder. I now have full acess to all plug ins, having moved the dlls back into the Effects folder. Thanks for your patience and help.

I am using the feathering effect, but cannot use it to the same effect as in PhotoShop. I cannot get the subtlety in the feathering that I need: the transition across the feathering is very harsh and there is no soft, progressive change.

Any help appreciated.

I am using the feathering effect, but cannot use it to the same effect as in PhotoShop. I cannot get the subtlety in the feathering that I need: the transition across the feathering is very harsh and there is no soft, progressive change.

Any help appreciated.

I've downloaded the 3.36 and boltbaits new plug-ins and am having the same problems with the harsh edges,having said that I'm still quite the half-tard with all this and i'm probably just using it incorrectly. If I have a photo where the sky is washed out and I want to add more contrast whats steps should I be using ? TIA

I've tried both feathering options.

Edit : O.k I gave it another try...

opened my file

made a duplcate background (renamed sky )

on the sky background I drew a circle with the lasso tool

effects-selection-feather selection set at 10

adjustments-levels slid the input slider up a little to darken sky,pressed o.k

ctrl D select

with the new background toggled on and original background toggled off, I can see the checkerboard area around the darkened sky.

when I toggle on the original background as well I see how it shows thru from underneath and is in fact not as harsh a division as 1st thought but is not really a seamless blend.

I'm not complaining, just trying to figure whether I am in fact using the plug-in properly?