TIF save options query

budc1958

I have been happily using paint.net for a while now to do my layered image processing. With the latest release I am now confronted with some confusing save options for TIFF files (bit depth with 4 options, dithering level). Why can't I just choose uncompressed or LZW as I always have? I don't want any dithering of any sort. That was the whole point of using TIFF. BTW not to bitch; I love the application other than this new wrinkle. If you can give me a lossless solution using PNG I suppose I can adapt my methods.

Hi @budc1958, welcome to the forum :)

I can confirm PNG's are lossless. Use them in preference to TIFFs and you'll be sweet if your image is a single layer.

For multiple layers, save as a PDN to preserve the layer structure.

TIFF's functionality wasn't reduced, it was expanded :)

Unless you choose something other than "Auto" (which is the default), you shouldn't need to worry about any of the other stuff.

I do still recommend PNG over TIFF, however.

image.png

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I did a quick test on TIFF out of curiosity. It does not seem to support multiple layer TIFF.

Multilayer projects can be in the form of .pdn, .ora, or .psd. I personally would use .ora.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

Thanks Rick.

I see two more options for the PNG Save Configuration.  So for TIFF or PNG just leave it set to default and I'm good to go for lossless saves?

Also why do you prefer PNG to TIFF?

I retrospect I was thinking I should have set up my profile as another character from the show.  I assume you already have some of those.

31 minutes ago, Reptillian said:

It does not seem to support multiple layer TIFF.

Correct. Multi-layer TIFFs are not supported. Only the first layer will be returned.

20 minutes ago, budc1958 said:

So for TIFF or PNG just leave it set to default and I'm good to go for lossless saves?

Correct.

21 minutes ago, budc1958 said:

Also why do you prefer PNG to TIFF?

TIFF is an ancient format dating back to the last century (much like me :) ). While Rick often says TIFF support is provided on a "best faith" basis, in 4.2 he updated the bit-depth support (adding  24-bit and 8-bit options). I seem to recall 1-bit saving is not supported, and as I said above, neither are multi-page TIFFs.

The Baseline TIFF Specification 6.0 is a lossless image file format that has not been updated since 2002, but is supported by most graphics app since its introduction in 1992. I save all of my works first as PDN files and then my final flatten layers as a TIFF. There are other updates to TIFF but I am not aware that Paint.NET supports it.

• 3 months later...

My fax machine (a Brother printer) saves faxes by default in TIF format. Faxing is still  necessary at times to send a document. I'll just use IrFanView to read my saved faxes.

• toe_head2001 locked this topic