Sign in to follow this  
dipstick

Cool things I've made lately while learning blender.

It's best not to feed the trolls. Anyway I'm currently working on a piston. Not happy with the result so far, it needs much improvement. Don't know how to yet.

94ycz1R.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dipstick said:

It's best not to feed the trolls

Aye I know.  Hard to hold back when it's personal tho'

Anyways ... maybe adding a con rod, pin and rings may give it a different look ?

I  use Turbo Squid for reference images for an engine I'm working on slowly, over the past few months in PDN.

Better than Google as they give you different views of an object ... plus, some have been made in Blender

Other Engine Parts

Edited by welshblue

6 hours ago, dipstick said:

I'm currently working on a piston.

Seeing that image reminds me of the movie The World's Fastest Indian.

(If you haven't seen it, you should.)

1 hour ago, BoltBait said:

Seeing that image reminds me of the movie The World's Fastest Indian.

Yes, I saw and have that movie. It was pretty good.

I added a wrist-pin and a recessed dome to it. I was going to add some valve reliefs, but decided against it since my Harley is low compression. Still crappy looking though...

yYuNXlF.png

It doesn't look round.  You can see that it is made out of triangles.

5 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

It doesn't look round.  You can see that it is made out of triangles

This.  :arrow-up:

If you could sort that,  you're on your way ... plus it's too much of a matt colour right now, but then I'm sure you've held enough pistons in your hand to know how polished they are

I would recommend the links I pointed to.  That way you get to see the modelling to

6 hours ago, BoltBait said:

It doesn't look round.  You can see that it is made out of triangles.

It's round, but the camera angle gives an optical illusion. The triangles you see are a result of my lack of knowledge about blender. I used the Wrist-pin cylinder to cut the hole into the piston wall and it wrecked the vertices. I don't yet have enough skill to correct that, or to use an alternative method.

6 hours ago, welshblue said:

I would recommend the links I pointed to.  That way you get to see the modelling to

I checked out one of the pistons. It is very high quality and above my abilities at the moment. If I ever learn this monster, look out though. This one's a little better, I went with a different path.

wLEzaF0.png

Edited by dipstick

Hey check it out, I made a Piston and ConRod assembly. Aside from it looking like I used a hacksaw blade to cut out the piston skirt, I think it looks pretty darn good. I didn't even use an image to model from, it was done 100% memory. It took a few tries though....

tVT8rRI.jpg

Edited by dipstick
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dipstick said:

I think it looks pretty darn good

Agreed.  Great shine and shape.  Just describe it as some over zealous person attacked it with a file 😉

You must be proud of how far you've taken it in such a short time

... at the risk of being hit on the head with it ... a set of needle bearings would look great in there 🙃

• Like 1

Although I like my original design better, I went with a similar design I saw on turbosquid. It has more straight lines and so easier to cut into. I also made the roller bearing for it. I'm now done with pistons, I think I'd like to make a skull next. I've read it is very hard though....

xIJuSSb.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'd like to make a skull next. I've read it is very hard though....

Actually, once you figured out how to use a 3D program, most of the time it's just a matter of time until you get it done.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:36 AM, welshblue said:

... at the risk of being hit on the head with it ... a set of needle bearings would look great in there 🙃

Thanks for the roller bearing idea. It was actually one of the easier parts to make. The wrist-pin and rod were easier, but the piston was a challenge. Mostly because I had to cut holes into it.

15 hours ago, Reptillian said:

Actually, once you figured out how to use a 3D program, most of the time it's just a matter of time until you get it done.

Have you used Blender? From the videos I've seen, it looks like they mostly sculptured the skull. I have little to no experiencing with the sculpture layout. I guess I'll have to figure it out.

Have you used Blender? From the videos I've seen, it looks like they mostly sculptured the skull. I have little to no experiencing with the sculpture layout. I guess I'll have to figure it out.

I do have a long history with 3d software. For me, it always end up being time-related rather than anything to do with how to make it.

Edited by Reptillian

4 hours ago, dipstick said:

Thanks for the roller bearing idea.

It add a really interesting look to it.  I can't blame you for being all piston'ed out ... you've put a lot of time, which shows in the results.  According to the wife I'm hard to please, but am 100% impressed with your renderings.  

Looking forward to the skull ... the video I saw, it's brilliant result.   Sculpting is an art in itself, I've got Sculptris and it remains largely unopened.  Not my forte, but I'm sure you'll rock it

Well sculpting that skull is a very slow process, but I'm going to try anyway. In the meantime, I downloaded a skull blend file under the Creative Commons licence to play around with and see how it's put together. I only changed the texture and animated the jaw to make it laugh.

pXmXQXa.gif

Edited by dipstick
  • Like 2

I recently discovered that I can export a 3-D object I made as a .obj and then import those into any blender project. Here is a wallpaper I made using various 3-D objects I made recently.

file.php?id=41332

• Like 3

I have the Corel DESIGNER Technical Suite X5 with its Deep Exploration 6 CAD program by Right Hemisphere. It allows me to create 3D models and can save/export to files that can be rendered in Blender. I created dozens of 3D files in a software from Micrografx called Simply 3D. Micrografx was bought by igrafx, that became Right Hemisphere. I have not found a rendering app that can open Simply 3D's .sd3 file format. I can run Simply 3D on a Windows 7 or older computer , but I cannot export the file into another 3D format.

This video was rendered in Micrograx Simple 3D:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

It's for a board game that is NOT for the fain-hearted

You are right too much fat is not good for your heart :) 

10 hours ago, HyReZ said:

I created dozens of 3D files in a software from Micrografx called Simply 3D. Micrografx was bought by igrafx, that became Right Hemisphere. I have not found a rendering app that can open Simply 3D's .sd3 file format. I can run Simply 3D on a Windows 7 or older computer , but I cannot export the file into another 3D format.

See if it will export to .stl format. Blender can import .stl as an object. You'll still need to make the shading and animation in blender itself.

3 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I made this in blender

Nice work. I don't have a 3-D printer, how much did that cost you?

@dipstick ... phenomenal compilation.  Love the details and the textures.  Also prefer the skull not yacking 😉

@Ego Eram Reputo ... woah.  That's cooler than cool.  Creepy but awesome.  Dark alley and meeting etc

6 hours ago, Eli said:

You are right too much fat is not good for your heart :) 

The secret is statins .  Eat what you want and levels stay healthy 😉

Totally uninteresting fact but research seems to be showing vegetarians are more at risk of stroke than carnivores

9 hours ago, dipstick said:

Nice work. I don't have a 3-D printer, how much did that cost you?

Landed it for less then $400NZ. Its an Ender 3 Pro by Creality. Sourced it from Aliexpress.

H5c85efbf39534204b03a9fce2ba499cf7.jpg_q

I did a lot of research before getting it. This model is regarded as the top of the hobby line. I'm thrilled with it and highly recommend one, especially if it is your first printer.

11 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I'm thrilled with it

Out of curiosity - how big are they and how long did a model take to print ?