dipstick

Cool things I've made lately while learning blender.

An interesting scene. Hard to tell what's real and what's fake.

zI5XSJX.jpg

I also made a soccer ball complete with stitches.

guEfGs2.jpg

And the animated version.

NgrO6ZB.gif

• Like 5

Very nice @dipstick!  I like how the red and blue mugs reflect off of one another.

Soccer ball looks good, too...it just needs scuffed up a bit!  😁

I would say you're doing great with Blender, which I know nothing about.  Keep it up!  :)

Fair play --- that's excellent work.  Love the earthenware mug, and like Lynxster' says ... great reflections going on.

I've sort of mastered modelling etc in Blender, but will have to get a new pc with better specs' if I want to go further with it.

4Gb of RAM and a Celeron processor isn't cutting it in the rendering stakes

• Like 1

Thanks Lynx and Welsh. I'm still very much a novice in Blender, but I'm learning. Now that I'm not working, I have the free time to learn that monster. I'm getting better at modeling, but can't remember all the key-board shortcuts. My PC is about 8 years old now, but it has an i7 with 12GB of RAM. No graphics card thought, so all CPU. Single frames aren't too bad, but that soccer animation had 240 frames @ 1920x1080 and took about 3 hours to render. About 48 sec average per frame.

Earlier I made a Ball Peen hammer, today I decided to morph it into a pick ax. I learn things as I tinker.

uCupvog.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Great transformation ... Trotsky would be turning ... got to agree about both parts being 'real' ... do I see burr walnut ?

Blender is a great tool ... still thinking of pro arguments for upgrading my PC

14 hours ago, dipstick said:

but can't remember all the key-board shortcuts

PDN ones are ingrained in my head 😣

14 hours ago, dipstick said:

I learn things as I tinker.

Best way I think.  I took my first Husqvarna chainsaw apart to rebuild at 11 ... progressed to trials bikes ... then cars ... then forestry heavy plant.

I still miss the smell of hydraulic fluid and 2T 

... anyways - thanks for sharing.  Very polished

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dipstick said:

Here's a glass of wine for you.

I just L-O-V-E that!  <3  Thank you, dip!

On 8/29/2019 at 7:46 AM, welshblue said:

Best way I think.  I took my first Husqvarna chainsaw apart to rebuild at 11 ... progressed to trials bikes ... then cars ... then forestry heavy plant.

I still miss the smell of hydraulic fluid and 2T 

I agree. I learned 99% of everything I know mechanically by trial and error. I remember the first time I changed a set of points and condenser on a 69 Plymouth with a 383 and dropped the set screw into the distributor at age 16. How embarrassing! Since then, I've totally rebuilt motors and even done very technical things like adjust cam-timing via lobe-center phasing. All of which I learned on my own, never went to school for such things. Give me a dial-indicator, a degree wheel and a rat-tail file and I'm good to go.

OK, here is some concrete carving.

9UqFLQz.gif

• Like 2

Wallpaper time. I'm buying this round, Bon Appetit.

* Edit - I didn't like the last image, so I re-did it. I think this one is more photo-realistic, what do you think? Now, I think I should probably try to make a beer mug.

file.php?id=41140

Edited by dipstick
Better version.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, dipstick said:

Yes I know, not great. Think of it as a work in progress. I need to figure out how to make a foam head on this puppy.

n7VnSvi.jpg

In my experience, a blender-made drink always arrives with a foaming head.

Edited by ANONYMISS

Much, much better @dipstick:star:   In the old image, the cheese just looked like it was 'floating' and there really wasn't any proper shadowing.

The wine glass bases look better, also.  I give a big 'thumbs up'!  👍

Beer mug looks good.  As always, when learning something new, practice makes perfect!  :)

You're becoming very proficient in Blender.  Brilliant modelling skills on display ... as is the lighting and the way you're using textures.

The lager looks like some home brew I made ... 8 pints and none of us could see anything.  Next day we were wishing we couldn't feel anything. 

I spent the whole journey to work with my head out the window like a dog 🤢 

And slept on a mattress of fir branches when I got there 

• Like 1

Thanks welsh. I played around with the camera settings to get a shallow DOF. I set the focal length to 50mm and the aperture to 1. I also imported an image and gave it some thickness using the "Solidify" modifier to make it look like a snapshot. I think the beer looks good enough to drink.

file.php?id=41163

Edited by dipstick
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, dipstick said:

I think the beer looks good enough to drink

I second that!  🍻

• Like 1

@dipstick The beer and the glass look great but the foam needs more bubbles. It looks like whipped cream :) . You do great thinks with Blender. Out of curiosity,  I went to see a youtube video and I found it so difficult to use. It would take me years to do something. 

Ok. It's Blender.

I speak of @dipstick images posted here.

As adept as any individual may be at jigging the software to render psuedo-lifelike images - that 'glass' looks acrylic.

If those acrylic wineglasses were glass, they would be top heavy when empty. Not fit for purpose.

Lordy! Why here at Paint.net? Isn't there a Blender forum somewhere?

Edited by ANONYMISS

Eli, I added bubbles to the beer and some noise to the foam. I think it looks a little better. Yes, Blender is very difficult to learn. It's easier for the young kids out there, but I have few good brain cells left anymore.

Z2OHHnv.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANONYMISS said:

As adept as any individual may be at jigging the software

I personally enjoy looking at Dipstick's images because from experience I know how difficult Blender is, and it's definitely not just 'jigging' ... it's creating.

BTW ... it's pseudo ... 

3 minutes ago, dipstick said:

It's easier for the young kids out there

You're selling yourself short mate, I think you're doing brilliantly.  Once mechanically minded etc --plus we've experience behind us 😉 Youth is wasted on the young in some respects.   Like I told my son when he said he could knock me out anytime -  " You could.  I'm not disputing it.  But I'm not that stupid anymore ... I'll just wait 'til you're sleeping ..."

If you're drinking beer as fast as you're making it, those brain cells will soon go 😉

2 minutes ago, welshblue said:

If you're drinking beer as fast as you're making it, those brain cells will soon go

Well, in my case the bubbles bring extra oxygen to my brain 😋.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eli said:

the bubbles bring extra oxygen to my brain 

I'm just jealous.  I miss the taste of a chilled Stella Artois.  It's been 9 years 8 months and a few days, since I've touched a drop.  

But who's counting

27 minutes ago, welshblue said:

BTW ... it's pseudo ... 

Golly gosh! Of course it is. That was a typo. Was your deduction/deduced mess picked up from the Big House?

19 minutes ago, ANONYMISS said:

Was your deduction/deduced mess picked up from the Big House?

Call me dense but I'm unsure whether you're trying to antagonise me on purpose, or not.

I've got bad news if you are - I'm a reformed character.  I don't bite anymore.  Too much respect for the members and Admin' 

I'm only here to support other artists, to help new users if they're having difficulties and to hopefully show new techniques through tutorials.

Also to have fun.  

THIS MESS ?   I'm not so sure it is a mess ... Conan Doyle and all that

And what the helllll  has me having been in prison got to do with anything ?  I've had worse insults thrown at me.  I'm not ashamed.  I did the crime and did the time ... and if you want to know details ... 4 coppers who caused me a lot more damage than I caused them.  Bitter ?  Not at all ... I came out a fully qualified welder because of it.  Big bucks when you're able able to pick and choose jobs

I guess if your aim is to wind me up - at least you're leaving others alone