Put obejcts in background and make it look good

PaintDotNetNoob

Hi there!

I have to following two pictures and want to put the ruins in the background. However, when I tried it just looked... unsatisfactory! So, is there anyone who could help me out by doing it for me or give tips how I can do it? I would like to place the ruins a little bit to the right from the 2nd island.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An0k3NNBZ4JRgZBELIjLWOGMj1-NfQ?e=4FGB3Q

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An0k3NNBZ4JRgZBELIjLWOGMj1-NfQ?e=dBZa3A

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hello @PaintDotNetNoob and Welcome :)

You have posted two images of the same scene.  I think we need the ruins to continue with this project :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Yours is quite hard to understand for me @welshblue ':). Is it possible to make it quite a bit smaller, so its in the far background? :) Or eventually you still have the .pdn file? And i tried your way @Pixey, but it didnt worked as shown by you. :/ I believe I made all the way you showed.

It takes practice, practice and more practice @PaintDotNetNoob :)

photo-manip-2.png         ~click to see it larger~

2nd.png                           ~  ditto  ~

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

This kind of stuff is something I enjoy doing.  I liked @welshblue approach as well with a slight difference in the hardness, I always set hardness to 0. 

Here's what I did under 15 minutes for fun, nothing serious.

underwater-ruin.png

@PaintDotNetNoob one thing I would advise you to do is get good quality stocks to work with.  It makes a big difference in any photomanipulation you do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

I would advise you to do is get good quality stocks to work with

Agreed. This is one of my favorite places to find them: Unsplash.com

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BoltBait said:

We are here to teach, not to do your work for you.

Yes, like I said: "So, is there anyone who could help me out by doing it for me OR give tips how I can do it?" I didnt asked straight for someone doing the work for me, even tho it's appreciated. But it's also great if someone can tell me how, then I should be able to do it on my own. So no need to reacts so harshly thx :). Thanks aswell for the link @Ego Eram Reputo:)

Oh wait i think I got it :). Thanks all for your help, really appreciate that :). Haha yea, it has to be built till Monday tho lol. This picture I will need for some game fan art contest. Some things are still missing in it :)

Edited by PaintDotNetNoob

6 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

This is one of my favorite places to find them: Unsplash.com

Almost all of my stock sources is from unsplash.com, and I have also found pexels.com, another useful site for stocks.

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

I'm no PDN wizard but it's the eraser every time for me.  More control and as @TrevorOutlaw says - using varying degrees of hardness contributes to a better finish.  At least for me

Also, if you are lucky to have uniform background color in one stock, you could use magic wand and adjust the tolerance.  I was fortunate the ruin above had a clear sky with blue gradient that made it easier for magic wand to track and delete.

In the OP's case, magic wand simply won't work since the stock of choice had strong blue tint, and your suggestion to use eraser or radial transparent gradient is spot on.

Edi: In some case, it is possible to use remove.bg to separate foreground object from the background, but that is more tricky on complicated object like a ruin.  I tried and it deleted a lot of but retained some stuff, so manual sometime is the way to go.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 1