How to Install Plugins ×

Perlin Noise Generator

zaya

I couldn't help but notice that there are many PDN plugins that *utilize* Perlin noise, but none so far as I could tell, that generate it. Well, that's what this does. 

You can specify the size, and allowed angles of the underyling gradient that determines pixel color, as well as the color of the noise (default is black and white). 

It's not super glamorous, but I'm hoping cooler people than I who know how to use Perlin noise to make cool stuff can have an easier time now.

Additionally, feel free to strip the Perlin function from the source code to use for your own projects. The code can be viewed here. It's open source, so have at it!

The plugin will show up in Noise > Perlin Noise

Here's a kind of boring image of the output:

example.png

And here's a more exciting picture of colored output rendered as a map:

example4.png

Use it for quick textures, procedural generated levels, whatever you need!

Hope it's useful :) 

perlin_noise.zip

Edited by zaya
Updated file
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Pretty nifty plugin @zaya.  I quickly whipped this up from one of my flower shapes.

Background texture is your plugin; I added additional plugin effects to some of the other layers. Came out pretty good.

Thank you for the plugin!  :)

perlinnoise_01.png

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hate to be the one to dig up a grave, but there's something that's been bothering me. Is this simplex noise or perlin noise? I'm using perlin noise on another application and it doesn't have any settings for octaves. I heard simplex noise is an octave-thing only, and this has octaves. Just wanted to make sure.

EDIT: Turns out I don't know what octaves are, but now I do! The program didn't have octaves for perlin noise built in, but I found someone else's program that does! If I had to suggest some advice (if you still update this), make us able to know what they mean. Would help out tremendously.

Edited by LegitSi
im an idiot

It *looks* like Perlin noise. I'm no expert. It is significantly more complex than what I use (which I refer to as Value Noise).

Think of Octaves as feedback loops. Increasing the Octave count results in increasing complexity at the edges.

REF https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/1787-clouds-plugin/

Source and explanations https://web.archive.org/web/20070509192530/http://www.sepcot.com/blog/2006/08-2006-PDN-PerlinNoise2d.shtml