As the title says - totally random.

The only plugins used in the session were Shape 3D and Texture Object Rounder ... none of Curtis's

Clicking on the canvas caused a crash with this error message.  Despite not going to Effects at all to access any plugins that may have caused it

Spoiler

File: C:\Users\family\Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects\CurtisBlack.Effects.dll
      Name: CurtisBlack.Effects.BlurMap.BlurMap
      Version: 1.0
      Author: Curtis Black
      Copyright: Copyright ©  2008 Curtis Black
      Website: http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22521
      Full error message: System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'CurtisBlack.Common.PDNIO' threw an exception. ---> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.PdnFileTypes' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Data, Version=4.201.7158.31906, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
   at CurtisBlack.Common.PDNIO.GetFileTypes()
   at CurtisBlack.Common.PDNIO..cctor()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at CurtisBlack.Common.PDNIO.get_RecentFiles()
   at CurtisBlack.Effects.BlurMap.BlurMapConfigDialog.InitialInitToken()
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.Constructor() in D:\src\pdn\src\Effects\EffectConfigDialog.cs:line 122
   at CurtisBlack.Effects.BlurMap.BlurMapConfigDialog..ctor()
   at CurtisBlack.Effects.BlurMap.BlurMap.CreateConfigDialog()
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffectImpl(Type effectType) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 840

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'PaintDotNet.PdnFileTypes' from assembly 'PaintDotNet.Data, Version=4.201.7158.31906, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Looks like it's trying to access a class that it shouldn't have been, which has since been moved. The plugin will need to be fixed.

1 hour ago, Rick Brewster said:

The plugin will need to be fixed

Does that mean there could be a random crash again despite not even opening one of Curtis's plugins when the above happened. 

In fact as I said, no plugin was being used, just clicking on the canvas

Shame his effects are bundled into 3 dll's - I only ever use Tile Image

You could always use my Effects > Paste > From file... plugin. It has many tile options. 

32 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Effects > Paste > From file

Yep I've used it in a tutorial I'm finishing off.  Very handy (and it's cousin Fill from Clipboard)

Thinking about it I only use Tile Image to achieve the effect you can now use Gradient Tool >>> Repeat Reflect/ Repeat Wrapped for.

I think I'll bin the curtis dll's off

It was a stranger crash than the time a sheep jumped over a hedge ... 

I've been wanting to post that I too have been having lots of crashes lately when using Shape 3D and sometimes with Alpha Mask ............ But, I hadn't done so yet, because I'm not getting any crash logs.  The screen just freezes and then PDN shuts down.

I can't say I've experienced crashes with either of them.  But ...

Alpha Mask has definitely changed since the updates.  Before,  you could just have a black mask >>> Alpha Mask >>> From Clipboard - Invert Mask ... smooth as a babies proverbial.  Now it's jaggier than a cliff face ( OK slight exaggeration)  Thankfully BoltBait's Switch Alpha to Gray on the mask gives smooth results (quicker than adding a white layer below and merging your mask and white together)

Or the strange one.  Write text in any colour.  Make B & W ... Brightness to Contrast so it's fully 0 0 0 - Alpha Mask won't work unless it's got a white background.  I 've lost a few brain cells through chemicals lately so not sure if it's always been like that ?

Shape 3D ... I don't know if it's my impatience or my imagination, but I'm sure rendering has slowed down ... but got no evidence to back myself up

Edited by welshblue

On 8/22/2019 at 6:54 AM, Pixey said:

I've been wanting to post that I too have been having lots of crashes lately when using Shape 3D and sometimes with Alpha Mask ............ But, I hadn't done so yet, because I'm not getting any crash logs.  The screen just freezes and then PDN shuts down.

If nobody reports crashes... I won't know about them. Can't fix them.

53 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

If nobody reports crashes... I won't know about them. Can't fix them.

I didn't get any crash logs when it happened, so I've been clearing out my Plugins and will keep trying.  If it keeps happening, I will definitely report back :)