Ominous bug that is anoying me for years. Would appreciate help

RandomPerson1

Greetings fellow Paint.net enthusiasts!
I am using paint.net for multiple years now, and I always enjoyed it as it serves me the basic tools I need for 90 % of scenarios.
However, there is a very weird bug haunting me since all these years strongly decreasing my work efficiency allot, so I kindly ask for help in this Thread.

The bug goes as the following: Everytime I decrease or increase the V value of the main or sub color, switch to the other color and then switch back by the icon in the Colorweel, the V value just decreases itself by 1. exactly 1. In most cases, something like this propably wont be that problematic, but in my case, as I am using paint.net for Pixelart only, its really bugging me on in things like smooth color transition and other stuff, where those values HAVE to be perfect.

I hope that somebody allready got a proper solution for this. Hopefully I gotta get back to Pixeling real quick :)

Have a nice day.

Edited by RandomPerson1

The colors in your image are RGB values, and they represent the true/real/actual values.

The HSV vales are just approximations based on the RGB values, and are provided for convenience. They do not represent the true values in your image.

The two color modes (RGB & HSV) are not interchangeable, and there's really no way to 100% accurately convert from one to another. Thus you'll see that "off by 1" behavior.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

8 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

The colors in your image are RGB values, and they represent the true/real/actual values.

The HSV vales are just approximations based on the RGB values, and are provided for convenience. They do not represent the true values in your image.

The two color modes (RGB & HSV) are not interchangeable, and there's really no way to 100% accurately convert from one to another. Thus you'll see that "off by 1" behavior.

First of all, thank you for your extra quick Reply, and by reading your explenation, it makes all of this way more logical to understand than " random bug lololol ".
However, isnt there any way to bypass this? I already was thinking about buying a software like Aseprite. But I dont think thats a good idea.

33 minutes ago, RandomPerson1 said:

However, isn't there any way to bypass this?

Sorry, no. Paint.NET uses RGB, not HSV.  Most programs and image formats use RGB.

33 minutes ago, RandomPerson1 said:

I already was thinking about buying a software like Aseprite.

By all means use the software that fits your needs. Whether that's Paint.NET or something else. Or both together.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

35 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Sorry, no. Paint.NET uses RGB, not HSV.  Most programs and image formats use RGB.

By all means use the software that fits your needs. Whether that's Paint.NET or something else. Or both together.

Well, I was giving Aseprite a short try in the demo version, and honestly I am pleased with the pre-color palettes avaible that pretty much make this problem obsolete as I can always rely on the palette and dont have to pic the color from the image itself.
Therefor, I think this post can be locked, Thank you for your support. If it stays online I think other people who run into this problem can find quick support here :)
Again, thank you for the fast support and the additional knowledge you gave me! Good night.