Create shape with solid outline and patterned body in one go?

Hi all, 

Not sure if I translated the terms in my question right, because I'm using a Dutch version of Paint.net. But I'm wondering: 

If I want to create say a rectangle with a solid line around it with a brick pattern inside, I now create two rectangles: one with ony a solid outline, and one with only the brick patterned inside. Because if I choose the dual filler mode: a filled form with a contour, my countour line also gets a brick pattern and ends up as a bit of a dotted line. 

Am I overlooking something? I've been searching with all kinds of terms and I've watched some tutorials, but they didn't tell me what I wanted to know...

Thanks, Annemieke

Hello @Rockchick and welcome to the forum :)

Do each thing (rectangle, bricks, whatever) on their own layers.  Then you can resize everything.  If you are using the bucket fill for the brick fill, remember to change it back to a solid line afterwards.

It would help a lot if you could post an example.

rectangle-and-brick.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I think I understand what Rockchick means. The short answer is that you can not do what you want in one go.

If you create a rectangle using the main menu Draw Shape using Horizontal Brick, either Solid or Solid with Outline the brickwork at the edges will be raggedy half-bricks unless the image size is adjusted so that (horizontally) you have full bricks top and bottom. Left and right sides, because of the nature of brickwork ie. alternate layers overlapping the joins in the layer above and below, the edge can not be a straight border whatever you do. It is either alternate square tooth or half bricks like the horizontal.

Pixey's solution, just add a solid border as a second layer above the brickwork layer, seems like the simplest and most flexible suggestion to me.  

IHaveNoName.png

1. Draw an outlined shape.

2. Fill the center of the shape with the paint bucket tool with a fill style set to brick

Ref https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/PaintBucket.html#11 .

With that it is still a two part process and you'll get part bricks at the edges if the volume contained by the border does not match the fill full brick horizontal or vertical dimensions.

It works and can be adjusted of course but, particularly if a narrow border is being used to match the brick outline, I think it is easier to do that with the border and bricks in two separate layers as Pixey suggested. More flexible too if for example you wanted to change the brickwork colour but not the border. 

IHaveNoName.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for thinking this through with me. My basic question was: is it correct that any form (rectangle square, circle or whatever) only has one aspect for its inside: colour, and not two (color and pattern).

The way the edges of the pattern are being cut isn't an issue with me, so the answer that works best for me is Pixey's:  use the bucket filler. I hadn't thought of that one for patterns, but now you pointed it out to me it's fairly obvious. Thanks! 😊

• Upvote 1