PDN crashes no matter what

wraithevolution

I re-installed my os a couple days ago and have been using PDN for ever. So I figured I would just go with the latest and greatest here. After installing the newest frame network and installing the latest PDN, it simply won't work at all. It just crashed every time I try and start it. I've tried uninstalling it several times, tried using an older version I had saved from before, tried re-booting and tried using the programs own repair program. And nothing works at all. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me at this point. Any thoughts or ideas on what I can do? I really don't want to use any other program now, I know it too well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a 'pdncrash.log' file on your desktop? If so, please post its contents here.

There's no crash log but there is the old "Microsoft" message thing saying I should send the report. I can get to the report and it's really long but I can't copy it for some reason. Can't highlight it, nor Cntrl A or anything. I could screen capture it if there was a certain part that could help. And thanks for the quick reply.

Okay, so I didn't get help because I wasn't getting a crash log, I understand it's hard to help if you don't know what's going on. But after going through all the FAQ's and reading other people's problems, I tried one more thing that may help others too. I uninstalled the .net framework again and downloaded another copy. This time, I searched around the page and found an option to download the entire copy plus service pack. It was a far larger download, close to 300 mb's which is a lot different than the regular. So I installed the larger framework file, rebooted, re-installed a fresh copy of paint and it's working! So I'm kinda thinking now that a lot of people's problems may be solved by downloading the larger framework file that includes the service pack. I hope it helps someone! Thank god too, I almost had to start using GIMP.

It only been one day. It not because you never had a crash log. It because everyone else has to do life things 1st. There are no support team (Even though I like to be in it as I post here the most). No one is getting paid to help people with there Paint.NET problems and Rick works a job as well as trying to keep up with everything on the forums.

If I got to your post in time, the common thing I would of asked you as you had no crash log would be to take a pic of the debug part of the error message so I could look up the error code.

The 2nd thing would of been to do a .NET Framework repair and a PDN repair which from the sounds of your post would of worked.

The 3rd thing would of been to make sure you got to right .NET Framework and the full version as the newer .NET frameworks like 3.0 and 3.5 can be download as addons to an other dot net just so you wont need the full file.

Comments like that are all over the Troubleshooting & Bug Reports part of the forum.

I am happy you got it working but remember some things take time. You should be happy with how fast your getting a respone from people not getting paid to troubleshoot because I seen company take weeks to respone to paying customers. EG: My cable company.

Sheesh. I wasn't complaining, I was explaining why I was answering my own question. I was only trying to be helpful in explaining how I did it. I've read a lot on here but I never came across anything saying to download the entire net framework with service pack. I was just trying to be helpful.

It only been one day. It not because you never had a crash log. It because everyone else has to do life things 1st. There are no support team (Even though I like to be in it as I post here the most). No one is getting paid to help people with there Paint.NET problems and Rick works a job as well as trying to keep up with everything on the forums.

If I got to your post in time, the common thing I would of asked you as you had no crash log would be to take a pic of the debug part of the error message so I could look up the error code.

The 2nd thing would of been to do a .NET Framework repair and a PDN repair which from the sounds of your post would of worked.

The 3rd thing would of been to make sure you got to right .NET Framework and the full version as the newer .NET frameworks like 3.0 and 3.5 can be download as addons to an other dot net just so you wont need the full file.

Comments like that are all over the Troubleshooting & Bug Reports part of the forum.

I am happy you got it working but remember some things take time. You should be happy with how fast your getting a respone from people not getting paid to troubleshoot because I seen company take weeks to respone to paying customers. EG: My cable company.

So, nevermind that I said it was working, it's not. I've done everything under the sun and my PDN still won't work. It always crashes when I try and open any file. I also don't get a crash log, just the generic microsoft crash log wanting me to report it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and to how or where I can find a crash log, I've yet to see one anywhere when mine crashes.

Edit; I just wanted to add something that may help. PDN only crashes when I try and open or save a file. Basically, when the window opens and you can see the pic and folder previews, it crashes. But if I don't do either one of those, it runs fine. I can drag files right into it and work on them all I want, then open a new blank canvas and it works fine. But then I can't save anything after that. The moment I can see a preview for saving or opening, it's all over. And I don't know where their supposed to be but I don't get any PDN crash logs. Any thoughts?

Additionally; Upon right clicking a picture and opening with paint, it works fine. Now I opened several pics, did some editing, clicked save or save as and this time, it opened the folder where I had the graphics stored. It then didn't crash. And trying to open something regularly in that same folder works fine. So I can only surmise that something on my desktop is causing PDN to crash?? Is that even possible? Is there a way to turn off the file and folder previews to prevent this? I just wanna use my PDN!!

There's probably a shell extension you have installed that's messing everything up. That's usually the case when something goes wrong around the open/save dialogs, since they are actually Windows dialogs and load in all sorts of extra code.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

There's probably a shell extension you have installed that's messing everything up. That's usually the case when something goes wrong around the open/save dialogs, since they are actually Windows dialogs and load in all sorts of extra code.

Wow, so is there any way of finding out what it is? I've found a work around but I don't like having to do it. It's so strange too cause I just did a fresh re-install of my OS but I've never had this problem before. And I didn't install anything that I wasn't using prior to the re-install. I don't get a PDN crash log but I do get a ms crash file. I can't highlight and copy if but I could screen capture any parts of it if that helps. I appreciate anything you could tell me!

Sure, post a screen capture. That might get us a DLL name at least.

I've been having a similar problem... Only from time to time p.n will let me do little things. It has crashed on me when I go to the color tool and try to change tints.

Here is a screen cap of what I get:

crash.jpg

and today, it's working entirely fine with no problems at all.

so thank you, if it was something somebody fixed.

I was getting the same error window with nothing you could really copy. After getting Rick's advice, I went through everything on my desktop and found one program link that had lost it's way, basically the shortcut was dead somehow. And another folder that corrupt for some odd reason so I moved it's contents and deleted the folder. Now my PDN loads fine from anywhere which is really nice. I guess either one of those was messing things up. If it's working good for you now, sweet! And thanks to Rick for your help in figuring this out for me. :)