Am no longer getting transparent images/alpha channel on .png files

Hey guys! I've been enjoying paint.net for years, although I have recently come across an issue I haven't had before. After making .PNG's with transparent backgrounds for videos, they all load in with black where the transparency should be. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling a few different times, and have never had this issue with paint.net. GIMP seems to work okay, although I much prefer using paint.net, but nothing I seem to do changes anything. I wasn't having this problem two months ago. Would anyone have any ideas? Could I have changed something without realizing it?

2 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Be sure to select 32-bit when saving to PNG. This will include the alpha channel for transparency.

Augh, I'm an idiot, thank you so much! I've left it on auto detect for so long and never thought to try to change it over, not sure why that stopped working but your advice did the trick! That's about a day's worth of headache gone now.

Auto-detect will always include transparency if necessary, by way of choosing 32-bit. You'll only loose transparency if you selected 24-bit or 8-bit. (I think 8-bit also supports transparent, although not varying levels of transparency)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 8/5/2019 at 7:45 AM, dipstick said:

Be sure to select 32-bit when saving to PNG. This will include the alpha channel for transparency.

OMG. you just answered my question from another forum post! No wonder I was having problems! 24-bit images save no transparency but 32 do! That is INSANE! So to get this straight when saving these format bit depths:

4-bit -> YES transparency
8-bit -> YES transparency
24-bit -> NO transparency
32-bit -> YES transparency

This is INSANE! I was having so much problems thinking my computer was get going crazy and all along it was paint.net screwin' with me! GRRRR
Who created this mess? Who is responsible? String 'em up by their heels I tell ya! 🤣

THANK YOU, Dipstick!
and paint.net... your mother was a hamster and you father smelt of elderberries! 🤣

Edited by Passionfly

18 minutes ago, Passionfly said:

4-bit -> YES transparency
8-bit -> YES transparency
32-bit -> YES transparency

Almost.

4-bit -> NO transparency
8-bit -> YES transparency (single bit transparency on/off, like a .gif file)
32-bit -> YES transparency (full 256 levels of partial transparency)

• Like 1