welshblue

Strange Quirk in Effects > Object Menu.

I thought I was going mad and imagining things but ...

outline-object.jpg

Close down 4.2 and open it again¬† and BoltBait's and Pyrochild's Outline Object sometimes switches places¬†ūüėÄ

Not sure how it repro's 

*** Edited to include the word sometimes

Edited by welshblue

I tried it 6 times and @BoltBait's always preceded @pyrochild's.¬† Not fair, I want it to switch places too ūüėĀ

3 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Not fair, I want it to switch places too

I had an epiphany whilst in the bath.

I've inadvertently opened up the last Beta version this past week  when doing Open With and am wondering if the changes happened when closing down the Beta and then opening 4.2. ? 

I deleted the Beta this morning but if you've still got it ... 

What language version do you use: English or English (United Kingdom)?

It seems funny, but in the English version at the top is Outline Object by @BoltBait, and in the English (United Kingdom) version at the top will be Outline Object by @pyrochild.

• Like 2

^ ^   That's very interesting @ReMake :D

Yeah, I've seem them swap positions. I figure it's just the sorting algorithm that .NET is using. They have identical names, so there's no "proper" order.  When the menu are sorted, sometimes one gets places first, sometimes second. No big deal.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Whatever happened to you, affected me when I was viewing your post

woah.¬† Gremlins everywhere¬†ūüėú

17 minutes ago, ReMake said:

What language version do you use: English or English (United Kingdom)?

I'm using English 

... I can discount my mad theory about switching from Beta to 4.2.  Came home and tried it ... opened up PDN  - BoltBait on top.  Shut it.  Re-opened and Pyro was on top.

Freaky.¬† The two¬†I've actually got around to donating to are messing with my head¬†ūü§£

Edited by welshblue

1 minute ago, toe_head2001 said:

No big deal

... unless you're anally retentive and got OCD about change¬†ūüėÄ

Then it does your freaking box in

26 minutes ago, ReMake said:

It seems funny, but in the English version at the top is Outline Object by @BoltBait, and in the English (United Kingdom) version at the top will be Outline Object by @pyrochild.

Nonsense.

I checked this situation for all language versions - this process is random. @toe_head2001 is right, this is a feature of the sorting algorithm.

Got delete one or live with it then.

I think I'll live with it, because I use both.   It's a bit like my wife - I never know where she's going to be from one day to the next ... so I'm used to it

I also have several versions. Better than none at all.

OUTLINES.png

22 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Yeah, I've seem them swap positions. I figure it's just the sorting algorithm that .NET is using. They have identical names, so there's no "proper" order.  When the menu are sorted, sometimes one gets places first, sometimes second. No big deal.

This is the correct answer. Since the startup performance optimizations in 4.1.4, effect plugin loading is now multithreaded. These plugins just get loaded and stuffed into a list as fast as they can, and it's just luck of the draw which one ends up first, second, third. Since they have the same name there's no correct ordering. However, it could be stabilized by first internally sorting the menu entries by the file name of where they come from and then sorting by the display name. The second sort will be stable and keep them in the same order between runs.

@toe_head2001 and @Rick Brewster ... thanks for the explanation.

May sound like I was making out of a molehill but it has been driving me berserk wondering if I was imaging things ... and when I knew I wasn't it drove me even more berserk.  

Sad I know.

... but some of us are internally wired like that ... not a good thing