Trouble loading BMP files

macneacail

Paint.net 4.2 will not open bmp files created using Microsoft Drawing Routines.  paint.NET has been opening these files since 2012

Application version: paint.net 4.2

PaintDotNet.Imaging.UnknownImageFormatException (0x88982F07): D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICImagingFactory.cpp (892) : hr = spDecoder->Initialize( spStream, static_cast<WICDecodeOptions>(metadataOptions));
   at PaintDotNet.Interop.InteropErrorInfo.ThrowIfError() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Interop\InteropErrorInfo.cs:line 98
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.NativeUtilities.ThrowOnErrorImpl(Int32 hr, SByte* szHr, IUnknown* pFxErrorInfo)
   at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Imaging.WICImagingFactory.CreateDecoderFromStream(Stream stream, BitmapDecodeOptions metadataOptions, Nullable`1 containerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor)
   at PaintDotNet.Data.WicFileTypeHelpers.Load(Stream input, Nullable`1 forcedContainerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, MetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicFileTypeHelpers.cs:line 61
   at PaintDotNet.Data.BmpFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\BmpFileType.cs:line 93
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 482
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

2 hours ago, macneacail said:

Paint.net 4.2 will not open bmp files created using Microsoft Drawing Routines.

Please post a sample of one of these images.  Thanks!

EDIT:

Since you say "Drawing Routines", I'm going to hazard a guess that the files you're talking about are actually WMF files and not BMP files.  If you take a WMF file and rename it to BMP, Windows Paint (and Microsoft Word) will still open it just fine.  Paint.NET can't do that.

However, Paint.NET has a WMF filetype plugin that can load WMF files.  You can find it here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/17950-wmf-windows-metafile-file-type-plugin-v131/ But, before attempting to open the file, if it has the extension BMP you'll need to change it to WMF.

Thank you for the response. 

Each file is about 5 MB so it will not upload. 

Bitmap newBmp = new Bitmap(XL, Y, System.Drawing.Imaging.PixelFormat.Format24bppRgb);

creates the file 

I wonder why does paint.net 4.1.6 open the files and paint.net has done so since I started using it in about 2012 

John

5 minutes ago, macneacail said:

Bitmap newBmp = new Bitmap(XL, Y, System.Drawing.Imaging.PixelFormat.Format24bppRgb); 

When you save the file to disk, you need to specify the format. i.e.

newBmp.Save(@"C:\image.bmp", System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Bmp);

If you just do this, it will save in the PNG format (regardless of the file extension)

newBmp.Save(@"C:\image.bmp"); // Saves in the PNG format

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

1 hour ago, macneacail said:

I wonder why does paint.net 4.1.6 open the files and paint.net has done so since I started using it in about 2012 

Maybe read about it? A ton has changed under the hood. https://blog.getpaint.net/2019/07/13/paint-net-4-2-is-now-available/

And @toe_head2001 is right. The bug is in your code and file naming, not in Paint.NET.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

4 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Maybe read about it? A ton has changed under the hood. https://blog.getpaint.net/2019/07/13/paint-net-4-2-is-now-available/

And @toe_head2001 is right. The bug is in your code and file naming, not in Paint.NET.

Dear Rick:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

using (var inFile = File.OpenRead(NameofBitMap))
            {
                var decoder = BitmapDecoder.Create(inFile, BitmapCreateOptions.None, BitmapCacheOption.None);
                var encoder = new PngBitmapEncoder();

var frame = decoder.Frames[0];
                encoder.Frames.Add(frame);

using (var outFile = File.OpenWrite(NameofBitMap + ".png"))
                {
                    encoder.Save(outFile);
                }
            }

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

René Slijkhuis provides a simple workaround for the moment -- 

I prefer to think of bugs as unused features

I read the blog content -- interesting 

Perhaps instead of breaking BMP images created using GDI that is still legal with the perversion that bmp is really PNG in some cases - maintaining the option or putting up a more descriptive error might have been useful. Renaming BMP to PNG worked. 

But rule number 101 from Computer Science 100 in 1978 - do not criticize other people's code, I always find is useful, although often ignored. 

As the great Jerry Pournelle once said "bend the punch cards - enjoy the day"

RIP JP you are missed. 

Great program by the way. 

John

• 2 weeks later...