Sign in to follow this  
TrevorOutlaw

Video Tutorial - remove.bg and Paint.NET

This video tutorial shows you how to use remove.bg, a website that will remove foreground object from the background, and then how to import the file from the website for Paint.NET users!

Credit goes to @dipstick for the remove.bg link and giving me a tip on how to work around the size limitation for masking object in Paint.NET.

In this video, I used this website, unsplash.com, which is a nice stock photo site, and have already picked a stock photo for this purpose.  I utilize this website for nearly all of my photomanipulations and using remove.bg is an awesome site to use.

Plug-in used in this video:

Alpha Mask

Alpha to Gray

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 5

You might have cursed me for my comment in the orb tut' - but this is really neat.

As a fellow Alpha Mask'ing lover, I never realised I needed Switch Grey to Alpha so much

• Like 1

3 hours ago, welshblue said:

I never realised I needed Switch Grey to Alpha so much

To be honest, I had no idea this was a thing until I tried to code something and inquired for help, but BoltBait had already developed it and released it.  The whole time that plug-in was in my Effects folder and I was kicking myself for not knowing I had it.  Live and learn...live and learn.

No, I didn't curse you for that comment in the orb tutorial.  To be honest, I didn't realize barbieq25 made a tutorial and I must have completely forgotten about it.

2 hours ago, Seerose said:

Thank you very much for the video.

Thank you.  @dipstick deserves ton of credit for the link to the website and giving tips on how to workaround the size limitation.

Edited by TrevorOutlaw
  • Like 1

Amazing how well remove.bg site works on people. It's a lot faster than doing it manually for sure. I dug up this little cutie and put her in front of my bike. It almost looks like she belongs there.

G2rSxbj.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dipstick said:

Amazing how well remove.bg site works on people.

This is true. 

I must admit if she was on the back I'd be off on the first corner 😍

Edited by welshblue

2 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

🙄

I feel I should say as a father to a young daughter of 21 my comment was more one of appreciation for a pretty woman with great bone structure rather than meant to come across as inappropriate.

As a father I heard some terrible things said about my daughter when she was the physio' of the local football team from the age of 17 

A bit of banter is fine but a few times I had to walk away from people because of  the sexual remarks being made ... for their good and mine

Just had to put that out there.  I've the utmost respect for ladies of all ages

• Like 2

I too have total respect for the ladies, I learned that from my Mother. 

Anyway, I think that site uses some type of AI to guess the person from the background. I'm sure that with every photo uploaded, it helps it learn. Kind of like public training for lack of a better description.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

I feel I should say as a father to a young daughter of 21 my comment was more one of appreciation for a pretty woman with great bone structure rather than meant to come across as inappropriate.

As a father I heard some terrible things said about my daughter when she was the physio' of the local football team from the age of 17 

A bit of banter is fine but a few times I had to walk away from people because of  the sexual remarks being made ... for their good and mine

Just had to put that out there.  I've the utmost respect for ladies of all ages

Give it up @welshblue! You can't unsay what you said! 😉

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Give it up @welshblue! You can't unsay what you said😉

Nope - but could clarify I'm not a diirty old man

@dipstick - cool bike btw and thanks for introducing us to Remove Background and Trevor for putting together the video

1 hour ago, welshblue said:

I was just kidding! 😋

3 hours ago, dipstick said:

Anyway, I think that site uses some type of AI to guess the person from the background.

I think they do use AI and I could have swore they had that message on their website, but I also think they are capitalizing on a proposal that was written back in 2004 and the technology GrabCut was born.  They are also making money off people who do not want to work around the workarounds.

23 hours ago, dipstick said:

Amazing how well remove.bg site works on people

That is true, however, there were instances where I have seen the cutout inadvertently removing, say, a piece of jewel.  If the stock photo is someone in a studio with a dark background, the website is hit or miss on it.  I have also tried running it on separating car from background, and it also is hit or miss.  It works well on solid object, e.g. old fashioned camera, as long as there is a clear contrast between the foreground and background.

My suggestion would be is to find stock photo that are well lit with clear distinction between the foreground and background.

Amazing how one emoji can elicit such a response!  Relax guys, you're all good with me. Just having a little fun.  😂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Woodsy said:
16 hours ago, welshblue said:

I was just kidding! 😋

Me too mate.  My wife really does think I'm a dirty ol' man

3 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Just having a little fun.

I know my good friend ... I just felt the need to not want to be seen to be objectifying 🤐 #metoo

Thanks for the link to unsplash @TrevorOutlaw endless resources there.

Every time I use remove background I'm amazed at the job it does.  The guy below had trees around his head the same colour as his hair

basket-foot.png

17 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

It works well on solid object, e.g. old fashioned camera, as long as there is a clear contrast between the foreground and background.

You're right, it worked well for this 69 Charger I extracted to make an animation.

file.php?id=40925

• Like 1