transparency not working in layers

problem is i take the image into paint I wand and cut out background but when I go to layer the the no background image to a different background the image I have saved with no background once again has white background not transparent as saved so it will not layer to new background. I have made no background images many times over I have also transferred them to other backgrounds when using older versions of paint dot net but now can not do with newest version. any suggestions   ?

Welcome @BlueButterfly  Are you saving the cut-out image as a .png?  That file format preserves transparency.

For some reason if you save the PNG with as 24bit you can loose transparency in Paint.NET 4.1.6

Just to be safe first save as a PDN then save as a TIF. you can convert a TIF to PNG later.

I always save as PDN and then a TIF I only use PNG or JPEG if it being used on the web or if it is requested.

43 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

For some reason if you save the PNG with as 24bit you can loose transparency in Paint.NET 4.1.6

There's neither bug nor mystery here. 24-bits is 8-bits per component, and the components are red, green, blue. 32-bits is also 8-bits per component and adds alpha.

Alpha is transparency.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg