Newbie Question: 2 text colors depending on object below

Hi,

I think I have a very simple question but as I'm new to paint.net (and other painting tools), I don't know how to do this:

I want to create buttons for a website, where there is a small image in the background and a text above. Where the text is above the image, it shall have one color (white), where it's above the background it shall have another color.

How do I do this the best way? (It should be easy to replace the text easily, because I need more buttons :).

Thanks in advance!

Eike

Hi,

OK, I got it! :D (well - it was really easy...)

Just in case:

1. create layer for the text

2. insert the text with the first color

3. switch to the layer with the geometry, which should be the mask for changing the text's color

4. select the relevant areas

5. switch to the text layer again

6. choose color changer tool an change the color of the text within the selection

That's it :roll:

CU

Eike

I want to create buttons for a website, where there is a small image in the background and a text above. Where the text is above the image, it shall have one color (white), where it's above the background it shall have another color.

How do I do this the best way? (It should be easy to replace the text easily, because I need more buttons :)

Hi, the best way (IMHO) to create multiple instances of the same basic button is:

Create the background (=button) first.

Next add new layers above the background, one for each different "text" you want stamped onto the button.

Type in the text you want for each new layer, using the visibility checkbox(es) to toggle the layer(s) so that only the one you are working on is visible over the background.

When you have all your text in place, you need to decide which way you want to have the colour change take place (there are many different ways to do this). One of the simplest is to alter the "blending" mode of the text layers - one by one. Whichever mode you employ, repeat it for each text layer.

To save the buttons:

First save the whole image as a *.pdn so that all the layers are preserved.

Next toggle the text layers visibility so that only one shows above the background and save it in the file format of your choice (e.g. *.gif or *.jpg). you will need to "flatten" the image to complete the save.

Once saved hit control+Z to undo the last change and the layers will magically reappear! Toggle the next text layer so it is the only one visible and repeat the save process.

Repeat for each "button" you want to create.

Hope this helps!