DropShadow does not work anymore

ralf2019

DropShadow does not work anymore

I've a new installed Laptop with Windows 10 

I've installed the latest alpha of Paint.net

If trying to use DropShadow or InnerShadow nothing happened.

If used this function over the last years, last time some weeks ago with no problems, only changes is the new Lap

any ideas?

Edited by ralf2019
wrong title

Greetings,

When you say 'nothing happened', does that mean that the Drop Shadow window appears but none of the sliders work?
When I use InnerShadow it takes ~34 seconds for the effect to render.

Hi Ralf & welcome. 

Hmm, are you sure you have the correct layer selected? An object on its own layer? Or you have an active selection? It is very easy to accidentally have the wrong layer. I have frustrated myself with this many times too. 

Do any of the other plugins under "OBJECT" work?

I hope we can sort this out for you.

• Like 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

The wrong layer being used was my first thought too, that or trying to add drop shadows to an already flattened image ie. text and background merged.

As in the example below:-

Top text: magenta drop shadows added to text in Layer 1 of two (Background + Layer 1).

Bottom text: Layer 1 merged down into Background layer first then new text added to that and same drop shadow settings applied to whole image.

Result: it looks like drop shadows are not working and they probably are not simply because they're trying to be applied to the full image rather than an object in a transparent background layer above the background as intended.

Drop Shadows.png

IHaveNoName.png

I get the sense that ralf2019 already knows how to use the plugins but is having issues using them with his new laptop.

My impression is that the laptop may be lacking resources or current drivers that is yielding prolonged rendering times and appears as if it not working.

A 'new' laptop may be a year old; especailly if it was in a warehouse and is now on sale. It may need to have a bunch of updates before it is ready for the world!

Edited by HyReZ
inserting additional information

It could be prolonged rendering time - I have 8GB of RAM but I do not use a separate GPU on this machine, 'just' the built in Intel HD with it set to use 512MB dedicated memory.

It is fine for most of the the sorts of things I do on this PC but I have noticed with PDN and biggish images with multiple layers (12+) that it noticeably slows down some operations.

But I was using an 13 year old Dell laptop previously with 1GB RAM and which had a hugely powerful :)dedicated 32MB Radeon Mobile GPU. With PDN it was slow, you could see the changes being rendered like a curtain coming down the screen, but it did not stop it working.  

The laptop Ralf2018 is using may well not have lots of RAM or cutting edge on board or dedicated graphics but it would have to be very low power indeed to render drop shadows so slowly he thought they were not working. Why just drop shadows?

There may be something wrong with it, the drivers or the settings but it is best to check first that the plugin is actually being used correctly. User mistakes are always the most likely explanation and there is no shame in admitting it if that is the case here - we've all been there. 

IHaveNoName.png

10 hours ago, HyReZ said:

I get the sense that ralf2019 already knows how to use the plugins but is having issues using them with his new laptop.

Yep, & so do I but that does mean I never forget to change layers etc.

@HyReZcould be right about the updates required. I'm not that tech-savvy. 

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Thanks guys, many replys, great, but

the new lap is a new (less weeks) with I5 and 16GB, everything works fine

image.png.6bc3105ee34aebc9fcc682406ed553cf.png
I've working with Paint.net over years, and i've made many Buttons with Shadows last week and tried this again 2 days ago.

So, i know how to create a shadow, but

i'll try it now again and make a little vid

Is there a Problem with 32Bit and 64 Bit windows?

And yes, other plugin like bevel works

image.png.34f6932bfa725e89fdb10b99f4476378.png

Mmmh, i looked at the vid and i can't see the dropdown menues, great tool M$

Edited by ralf2019

The video is not much help other than show that menuing does not work.

There was no transparency field around your text to add any dropshadow.

I have computers here running Widows 10 32bit and Windows 10 64bit
They all run PND just fine.

Your problem is strange indeed, and may even be caused by malware.
If other apps are running goofy.
A system restore my be needed!

Some members having goofy computer problems that were caused by certain video processor driver settings.

I  am out of ideas for you.

Edited by HyReZ