Recolor tool

For the love of god will someone tell me how to use this tool. I select the recolor tool, but all it does is paint the primary or secondary colour over everything, depending on left or right mouse buttton. At the moment, I have to open files in MS Paint if I want to replace colours, then save and open again in Paint.net. How can it be so hard. 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but my problem was understanding the documentation. I've more or less worked it out. It seems the key is to select with the centre of the recolor tool, which means zooming in first. It's a shame it's not as easy or versatile as the replace tool in MS Paint, so I'll stick to exporting and importing to there when I need the more powerful tool.

Tolerance settings are the key.

With the Recolour Choice plugin you just need to use the colour picker tool to select the exact colour (Primary) you want to replace and have the Secondary colour set to whatever you want to replace it with. Adjust the tolerance to get the best results.

Recolour Choice is include in Red ochre's plugin pack:-

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/24584-recolour-choice/

IHaveNoName.png

Recolor tool :RecoloringTool: to the rescue!

1. Set Primary color to the color you want to end up with.

2. Use color picker tool :ColorPickerTool: + right click your image to select the color you want to replace. This color will be installed as the Secondary color (which is why you used the right mouse button).

3. In the Toolbar, set the sampling mode to Sampling Secondary Color

recoloringsamplingmodes.gif

3. Wind the brush width up to something large, so it won't take forever to cover your image.

4. Wind the tolerance down to around 20%.

5. Cover the image in sweeping movements of the mouse with the left button held down.

• 1 year later...

I found the option. "R" was the shortcut. Unfortunately, it's not working as intended. I did, however, come across a tutorial on using the Color Range plugin. I selected the primary color in my image (blue) and created a new layer. I then was able to Adjustments -> Hue/Saturation to slide the color bar to the desired color. All colors are no available though when I do this, but it does have the majority of colors that I'm looking for.